Tom, list,

Thanks for the link to the dissertation. I've read the first 40 or so pages, which include an outline of the history of the philosophy and psychology of affectivity. I didn't know that words like 'faculty', 'passion', and 'affection' have been freighted with so much meaning, and that the use of a seemingly innocent phrase like 'the faculty of affectivity' could be taken to mark one as a throwback to a defunct school of thought.

Let me take the opportunity to correct another error in my previous posts: Peirce in the _Century Dictionary_ said that Kant's definition of 'feeling' was a modification (he didn't say a restriction) of Tetens's definition, a modification that, Peirce said, involved a restriction to one part of the Century Dictionary's definition (not Tetens's definition).

Regarding some of your comments, I'd say that instincts can also be triggered _/inside/_ the body, e.g., by prolonged emptiness of the stomach. I think that nerve-endings help, but do not suffice, to explain sexual instinct, in my experience anyway.

I think that just about anybody will agree with you that we shouldn't see emotion and logic (or, more generally, affectivity and inference) as just the same thing! They may always be present together, but one needs to be able to discern them from each other in order to discern how they work together, for better (e.g., pleasure in successful reasoning) or worse (e.g., wishful reasoning), and also in affective versions of inference - e.g, gratitude and anger: X did Y, so X is good (one is grateful to X) or X is bad (one is angry at X) or X is neither (one is neither grateful to nor angry at X). Traditionally, deliberation is the volitional version of reasoning (one deliberates one's choices), yet reasoning (in at least one sense of the word) is conscious, deliberate inference, a deliberation over what to infer. So, yes, careful distinctions help one see complex relations.

Peirce was particularly opposed to hedonism as a general explanation of behavior, so you won't generally find him saying something like that we reason for pleasure. In one of the quotes in the older post to which I linked http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/15055 , he said,

   Esthetic good and evil are closely akin to pleasure and pain. They
are what would be pleasure or pain to the fully developed superman. [....]
   [End quote, in CP 5.552, from "The Basis of Pragmaticism" (1906)]

That implies that, to mark one's ends or goals, one should not go simply by actual or proximate pleasure and pain, but by what one conceives would be pleasing or painful to one if one were to be sufficiently developed - that is, if one, in one's heart, were to have learned enough about what is good or evil. I think that a useful distinction here (one on which Peirce seems not to put a lot of weight https://sites.google.com/site/cspmem/terms ) is between (A) _/telos/_ as end, culmination, and (B) entelechy, having-in-completeness, being-at-an-end. Hedonism focuses culmination and doesn't anticipate the entelechy, the final state, with its potential unintended consequences, clashes of values, etc. (I discussed this question in September 2013, how time flies! https://list.iupui.edu/sympa/arc/peirce-l/2013-09/msg00145.html .)

Again, thanks for the link to Robert J. Beeson's dissertation (_Peirce on the passions: The role of instinct, emotion, and sentiment in inquiry and action_).

Best, Ben