From: Clark Goble [mailto:cl...@lextek.com]
Sent: Tuesday, 24 November 2015 6:23 PM
To: Peirce List
Subject: Re: [PEIRCE-L] Rationalism : Philosophical and Scientific

On Nov 24, 2015, at 12:03 AM, John Collier
<colli...@ukzn.ac.za<mailto:colli...@ukzn.ac.za>> wrote:

I disagree with the sharp division between empiricists and rationalists as Jon
draws it. He quotes:

Rationalism:  A method, or very broadly, a theory of philosophy, in which the
criterion of truth is not sensory but intellectual and deductive.  Usually
associated with an attempt to introduce mathematical methods into
philosophy, as in Descartes, Leibniz, and Spinoza.  (Vernon J. Bourke)

This is not correct. Most rationalists allow for truth to be determined not
only by reason but also by experience. Extreme rationalists like Aristotle
require that essential properties and their consequences be understood
rationally, but not accidents. Descartes, much less extreme, made most truths
dependent on experience.  Leibniz is perhaps the most consistent rationalist
(if we require the split with empiricism to be really deep) in that he thought
the nature of the whole universe was fully determined by rationality. However
he also thought that because our (some of) perceptions are confused we must
rely on experience to determine at least some truths, even if on the scale of
God they are determined solely by reason.

Isn’t the issue with Rationalists and truth from senses that they are
foundationalists? That is truths of experience start with a point of
infallibility and then draw deductive consequences from it. They still see it
in terms of experience but induction just isn’t part of their reasoning in any
strong sense. For something to be known it has to have that absolute reason.

Of course as I said I doubt anyone was a pure Rationalist. So I doubt anyone
only thought in that way. But that was the ideal.

I confess it’s been an awful long time since I last read seriously Leibniz and
company. So I can’t recall off the top of my head how they dealt with confused
perceptions in this.