Gary R, you wrote (in reference to my post yesterday):

I agree that there is a reciprocity in semiosic determination, that 2ns and 3ns
"call for" each other, that that is what makes of any given semiosis a genunie
triadic relation. But I think you may be hinting at something deeper here, so
that if you would explicate your meaning a bit further, that would be quite
helpful.

If there is something deeper behind this particular reference to reciprocity,
it’s the same thing that the whole of Turning Signs is an attempt to explicate,
and if there’s one diagram at the bottom of it, it’s the one at the heart of
TS, http://www.gnusystems.ca/TS/mdl.htm#meancyc , which I call the meaning
cycle. One Peirce passage that I also had in mind is from the concluding
paragraph of the “Prolegomena to an Apology for Pragmaticism” (CP 4.572):

A mystery, or paradox, has always overhung the question of the Composition of
Concepts. Namely, if two concepts, A and B, are to be compounded, their
composition would seem to be necessarily a third ingredient, Concept C, and the
same difficulty will arise as to the Composition of A and C. But the Method of
Existential Graphs solves this riddle instantly by showing that, as far as
propositions go, and it must evidently be the same with Terms and Arguments,
there is but one general way in which their Composition can possibly take
place; namely, each component must be indeterminate in some respect or another;
and in their composition each determines the other. On the recto this is
obvious: “Some man is rich” is composed of “Something is a man” and “something
is rich,” and the two somethings merely explain each other's vagueness in a
measure. Two simultaneous independent assertions are still connected in the
same manner; for each is in itself vague as to the Universe or the “Province”
in which its truth lies, and the two somewhat define each other in this
respect. The composition of a Conditional Proposition is to be explained in the
same way. The Antecedent is a Sign which is Indefinite as to its Interpretant;
the Consequent is a Sign which is Indefinite as to its Object. They supply each
the other's lack.

I hope that will serve to explicate my meaning a bit further …

Personally, I wouldn’t formulate it quite the way you have in saying “that 2ns
and 3ns "call for" each other”; I would prefer to say that Thirdness mediates
between, or conjoins, two “things” each of which is second to the other
considered as first, and this action is most genuinely triadic when one of
those “things” is a possibility and the other actually exists. As Peirce put it
in the “Neglected Argument” paper,

The third Universe comprises everything whose Being consists in active power to
establish connections between different objects, especially between objects in
different Universes. Such is everything which is essentially a Sign,—not the
mere body of the Sign, which is not essentially such, but, so to speak, the
Sign's Soul, which has its Being in its power of serving as intermediary
between its Object and a Mind. Such, too, is a living consciousness, and such
the life, the power of growth, of a plant. (CP 6.455, EP2:435)

But that probably differs little, if any, from what you meant by your
formulation. It also reinforces your point quoted from the “Logic of
Mathematics”, that “we can only conceive a fact as gaining reality by actions
against other realities” (CP 1.432). There can be no reality without Secondness
(otherness, externality), but a fact “gains” in reality by interactions with
other facts. As Peirce said later (in “Kaina Stoicheia”), a fact has the
structure of a proposition; thus it embodies thirdness, which actually
increases the reality of the realities conjoined by it, by establishing the
reality of the relations between them. Through those relations they “explain
each other's vagueness in a measure,” i.e. determine each other.

Gary f.