From: Clark Goble [mailto:cl...@lextek.com]
Sent: Monday, 23 May 2016 8:25 PM
To: Peirce-L <PEIRCE-L@LIST.IUPUI.EDU>
Subject: Re: [PEIRCE-L] 6 vectors and 3 inference patterns

On May 20, 2016, at 2:56 PM, John Collier
<colli...@ukzn.ac.za<mailto:colli...@ukzn.ac.za>> wrote:

There are versions of what science is supposed to do that don’t worry about
causation, but just try to find regularities. The more extreme forms of this
are instrumentalism (like Mach) or Pierre Duhem’s antirealist view of physics
in Aim and Structure of Physical Theory. Duhem thought that the real causes
were supernatural (he was very religious) and were not captured by physics,
which merely “saves the appearances”.

I prefer the causal view of scientific explanation because it puts on a
stronger constraint (though Bas van Fraassen, another believer, would argue
that it doesn’t really). In any case, testing scientific theories typically
requires interacting with their objects, which can only be done causally – our
connection to the natural world is causal. If there is no difference in
detectable causes, then there is no real difference in the theories. This is
not quite the same as Peirce, but not so different to his pragmaticism either.

It’s worth asking how Peirce would have seen Dewey’s particular form of
instrumentalism. Of course Dewey’s tendency to deny that truth was relevant for
such instruments goes against Peirce’s particular conceptions. But I think once
we break out the ideas of “in the long run” as Peirce’s conception of truth
from more short term facets of instrumental use that perhaps Dewey and Peirce
are more compatible here than many assume.

I confess I get skeptical about the way causation tends to get thrown around in
descriptions. Perhaps it’s just from calculating far too many Hamiltonians in
my undergraduate education. With the Hamiltonian it’s just harder to think in
terms of causation rather than evolution of the wave function.