Jon,

Ben’s post has said a lot of what I would have said, so I’ll just add a few
notes by insertion here …

From: Jon Alan Schmidt [mailto:jonalanschm...@gmail.com]
Sent: 19-May-16 09:13

Gary F., List:

Gf: Science as a discipline of engineering? That’s too much of a stretch for me
... It would be like claiming that mathematics is a discipline of physics. Only
more so.  :)

Js: Well, I acknowledged that it is a provocative notion.  The point is that
science is pursued with the same basic motivation--transforming dissatisfaction
into satisfaction--as engineering and any other human endeavor.

Gf: Now I’m seeing the limitations of your hypothesis that ALL human endeavor
is rooted in dissatisfaction. It seems to ignore more positive motivations such
as curiosity, participation and playfulness in all its forms. The quest for
knowledge can be much more than an escape from a state of dissatisfaction.
Peirce’s dictum would, I suppose, portray not yet possessing the object of
one’s quest as a “state of dissatisfaction,” but that’s only one perspective on
the questing tendency.

Gf: Engineering, as I understand it, always involves some technology, some
manipulation of the physical world for some conscious purpose other than
discovery of its nature.

Js: Why should discovering the nature of the physical world be privileged over
all other conscious purposes?

Gf: It isn’t, except by a physicist per se. But discovery of principles in
nature — including the nature of conscious purposes as a specialized subset of
final causes, or natural purposes — is, for any philosopher, ethically
privileged over manipulation of any kind, because self-control depends on it.
It is also privileged over “Practice,” according to Peirce, because for
Science, “Nature is something great, and beautiful, and sacred, and eternal,
and real,— the object of its worship and its aspiration. It therein takes an
entirely different attitude toward facts from that which Practice takes”
(EP2:55).

Gf: The conception or selection of that purpose, of the end to which the
engineering project is the means, is the job of the normative sciences, which
are themselves only part of science in the Peircean sense.

This reflects the status of engineering as almost purely instrumental--clients
and managers dictate what engineers do, rather than engineers themselves.  My
writings on engineering ethics attempt to explore whether and how engineers
might someday escape this "social captivity," as Steven L. Goldman has called
it.

Gf: The status of engineering as a profession (as opposed to a discipline) is a
sociological issue, and I wasn’t trying to say anything about that. There’s
nothing in the nature of the discipline that stops a professional engineer (or
a client, or a manager!) from taking a scientific or philosophical approach to
the matter at hand.

Gary f.

www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt <http://www.linkedin.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt>
- twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt <http://twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt>