Hello, list!

What Edwina said is so sensible as to be Greek.

There is a one over many in semiosis.  That is, one has to cut and situate
oneself in a horizon while discussing one two three…One.

For example, there is also a fourth and a fifth that are assumed but don’t
get talked about; a fourth and fifth that is not Fourthness or Fifthness,
even though there is a distinct quality about them, which makes it
deserving of a –ness moniker.

See how confusing that is?  Here is something to help:

“*First* is the conception of being or existing independent of anything
else.”~Peirce

 “All these are called *substance* because they are not predicated of a
subject but everything else is predicated of them…

Therefore, as in *syllogisms*, substance is the starting-point of
everything.” ~Aristotle

(Could he be talking about CP 5.189?  But Aristotle wrote 2400 years ago
and Peirce only a century…but Peirce read Aristotle and was immensely
influenced by him.  But where does he say “This idea, viz., CP 5.189, was
inspired by the philosopher, viz., Aristotle!”)

____

“Second is the conception of being relative to, the conception of reaction
with, something else.

Third is the conception of mediation, whereby a first and second are
brought into relation.” ~Peirce

So, instead of “quality, relation, representation”, why not try “quality,
representation, relation”?  There is not a ‘wrong’ here but a ‘better’.

It is more an issue of how one attends to the matter.  This mind that
situates is *always* present and simply assumed.  The mind can be called
utterer, interpreter or commens or in fifth, *sub specie aeternitatis*.
The perspective of the eternal is an *objective* mind.  But in what way can
a mind be objective?

_______

“The *origin* of things, considered not as leading to anything, but in
itself, contains the idea of First, the *end* of things that of Second, the
process mediating between them that of Third.” ~Peirce

“Again (3) of quanta that have a *beginning and a middle and an end,* those
to which the position does not make a difference are called totals, and
those to which it does, wholes.”

So, what is it, a thing invented by Peirce with a beginning a middle and
end with features of syllogism, which can be used as a tool to unite the
parts as One?

one, two, three…C, A, B…beginning, end, middle…CP 5.189…One…

“‘A whole’ means (1) that from which is absent none of the parts of which
it is said to be naturally a whole, and (2) that which so contains the
things it contains that they form a unity; and this in *two senses*-either
as being each severally one single thing, or as making up the unity between
them.”

_________

Peirce touches on the theme of Edwina’s comment in the following:

“A philosophy which emphasizes the idea of the One is generally a dualistic
philosophy in which the conception of Second receives exaggerated
attention; for this One (though of course involving the idea of First) is
always the other of a manifold which is not one. The idea of the Many,
because variety is arbitrariness and arbitrariness is repudiation of any
Secondness, has for its principal component the conception of First.”

Finally, Peirce closes a section on Hegel (a triadic philosophy in that
Hegel states the syllogism, God/Son/Spirit, although it ought to be
Father/Son/Spirit…God) with:

“In psychology Feeling is First, Sense of reaction Second, General
conception Third, or mediation. In biology, the idea of arbitrary sporting
is First, heredity is Second, the process whereby the accidental characters
become fixed is Third. Chance is First, Law is Second, the tendency to take
habits is Third. Mind is First, Matter is Second, Evolution is Third. [from
CP 6.31-4]”

https://www.marxists.org/reference/subject/philosophy/works/us/peirce3.htm

Here, you can see that one, two, three is simply a heuristic (he even
admits in one of the Ransdell manuscripts that it is an exercise of which
he wished to divest himself but couldn’t because it *proved* to him to be
correct after years of testing).

There is no right or wrong here but always a better.  What we argue over is
whether it is a *best* because there might even be a *best*.  But where is
the proof for a community?

“That the settlement of opinion is the sole end of inquiry is a very
important proposition. It sweeps away, at once, various vague and erroneous
conceptions of proof.”

Hth,
Jerry Rhee