Edwina, List:

I try to be careful about only attributing to Peirce, rather than myself,
those things that strike me as incontrovertibly clear in his
writings--things that the vast majority of Peirce scholars recognize to be
HIS views, as expressed in those writings.  I do not subscribe to the
approach that all interpretations are equally valid; while there can
certainly be legitimate differences, there are also objectively *incorrect*
readings, assuming (as Gary F. once put it) that Peirce said what he meant
and meant what he said.  Of course, I am (very) fallible, so I may (and
probably do) overreach in some cases.  I even conceded in my last post, "We
might quibble about these particular assignments of the labels, which are
just off the top of my head."  The overall point remains--Peirce *did not*
limit the categories to semeiosis, as you apparently do.  If you are right
to do so, then not only am I wrong about this, but Peirce was also wrong
about it.

There seems to be a particular terminological difficulty with the word
"mode."  I did not say "that a pure or genuine triad in a mode of Firstness
[O-R-I all in a mode of Firstness] belongs in a *mode* of representation,"
I said that a thoroughly genuine triad in a mode of Firstness (i.e., a
qualisign) belongs to the third Universe of Experience, as something "whose
being consists in active power to establish connections between different
objects" (CP 6.455).  In some contexts, the categories do correspond to
modes, such as possible/actual/habitual; but not always.  In any case, what
I said is perfectly consistent with what Peirce wrote in CP 1.480 (not CP
1.515, as I indicated in my response to Jeff)--"a triad if genuine cannot
be in the world of quality nor in that of fact ... But a *thoroughly*
genuine triad is separated entirely from those worlds and exists in the
universe of *representations*."  So I am not the only one claiming that "it
belongs primarily to the third Universe"--Peirce did, as well.  If I am
wrong about this, then Peirce was also wrong about it.

Finally, there is nothing to debate with respect to whether Peirce believed
in the Reality of God as *Ens necessarium* and Creator of all three
Universes of Experience--he says so plainly in CP 6.452.  If I am wrong
about this, then Peirce was also wrong about it.

Regards,

Jon