From: Jon Alan Schmidt []
Sent: 12. oktober 2016 04:09
To: Søren Brier
Subject: Re: RE: [PEIRCE-L] Peirce's Cosmology

Søren, List:

SB:  I think your problem is solved by Panentheism, which accept the divine to
be both transcendent and immanent.

Again, I am now leaning against trying to apply any such label to Peirce.
Granted, one of the three drafts that I quoted from R 843 indicates that God is
not merely immanent in nature; and this might plausibly be interpreted as
compatible with panentheism, at least as you have described it here.  However,
the other two drafts both clearly state that God is not immanent in nature and
is not immanent in the three Universes.  That being the case, if immanence is
required for panentheism, then it appears that Peirce was not a panentheist.

Jon Alan Schmidt - Olathe, Kansas, USA
Professional Engineer, Amateur Philosopher, Lutheran Layman<> -<>

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 6:43 PM, Søren Brier