Edwina, List:

ET:  Pure undifferentiated energy so to speak.

That sounds like *something*, rather than *nothing*.

ET:  Peirce assumes all three categories as 'fundamental elements' - acting
upon each other from the beginning.

Except that the clean blackboard is there *before* any chalk mark appears
on it.

ET:  That blackboard has no categorical mode in its makeup. No Firstness,
no Secondness, No Thirdness.

According to Peirce, it represents a *continuum*, which is a paradigmatic
example of *Thirdness*.

ET:  When I draw a line - well - where in the world did I and my action
come from????Outer space?

You know (and disagree with) my answer to that question.  How does a chalk
line come about, if no one is there to draw it?  I assume that your answer
is pure chance, which makes it inexplicable, and thus unacceptable to
Peirce.

CSP:  To undertake to account for anything by saying baldly that it is due
to chance would, indeed, be futile.  But this I do not do.  I make use of
chance chiefly to make room for a principle of generalization, or tendency
to form habits, which I hold has produced all regularities ... I attribute
it altogether to chance, it is true, but to chance in the form of a
spontaneity which is to some degree regular. (CP 6.63; 1892)

For Peirce, chance in this context is not *randomness*, it is *spontaneity*--a
characteristic that we routinely attribute to *persons*, not merely *events*,
as something that "is to some degree regular."

ET:  The white chalk line is a Firstness. Not the blackboard.

We agree on this.  If the blackboard is not Firstness, and--despite
representing a continuum--is not Thirdness, then what else could it be?
Surely not Secondness, since in the beginning there is nothing else with
which it could react.  There are only these three categories, so we have no
other options.

ET:  The universe then self-generated and self-organized using the basic
fundamental three categories.

Self-*organized* is one thing, since we can observe that kind of behavior
in the universe now.  Self-*generated* is another thing altogether; again,
it effectively renders the origin of the universe inexplicable.

Regards,

Jon