Jon, List,

I'm not sure I can fully agree with Jappy's/Short's analysis, at least when
the language Jappy uses seems to imply that the three Universes represent a
break *from* the categories. It seems to me that the Universes are a
metaphysical expression *of* the categories, and not at all a complete
break from them. Do you agree?

One of Short's principal theses in his work of, say, the last decade on
Peirce's semiotic is that at several points in his career Peirce
thoroughly rejected whole portions of his previous thinking, replacing them
with entirely new theories. But scholars like Joseph Ransdell were critical
of Short in this (for example, Ransdell wrote a searingly critical review
of Short's *Peirce's Theory of Signs*) for they consider Peirce's thought
as essentially *evolving* over his career. To the extent that Jappy's
analysis suggests a complete break in this matter of Categories and
Universes, I believe it confuses the issue.

Nonetheless, Peirce's comments from the *Prolegomena* which you quoted,
Jon, would surely seem to suggest the need to distinguish Universes from
Categories in such ways as you pointed to (e.g., Subjects in Universes,
Predicates in Categories).

But, in truth, I've only begun to think about these distinctions.

Best,

Gary R

[image: Gary Richmond]

*Gary Richmond*