Jon - list

First - and yet again - please do not unilaterally define my views as 'unlike
Peirce'. I would appreciate it if you would instead say something like: 'My
reading of Peirce is different from your reading; I read Peirce as .......

No- my reading of Peirce is that there are real possibilities  [i.e. in a mode
of Firstness]  that are never actualized. I do NOT think that Firstness only
exists when a single possibility is actualized. Firstness, as a 'set' of
categorical possibilities is real - all of those possibilities - when
operational within a triadic morphology. After all - the very essence of a
possibility is that it is NOT particularized but remains ....unarticulated but
possible. However, I consider that this 'state' of Firstness is operational
only within the triad.

The same with Thirdness. I do not read Peirce as seeing Thirdness operational
outside of the triad that forms matter/mind. Thirdness, as a basic category,
does indeed provide continuity within the morphological articulation of
specific Signs, but it isn't in itself prior to and underlying actuality.
Again, it is a mode of organization that provides habits-of-continuity,
generalizations...that mediate and form specific triadic Signs. BUT - it
functions only within the triad.

I think this is a basic difference in our readings of Peirce. I focus that the
categories are basic and necessary - but- operate only within the Triadic Sign.
You seem to interpret Peirce in a different way.

Edwina