Jeff, List:

I must confess that although I continue to find your posts
thought-provoking, they also tend to be somewhat inscrutable to me.  I am
not sure exactly what bearing you are suggesting that CP 2.79-110 and CP
2.118 should have on our understanding of Peirce's theory of thinking in
relation to the hypothesis of God's Reality.

JD:  So, let me ask, what does Peirce mean when he says that "it is so
connected with a theory of the nature of thinking that if this be proved so
is that." In what sense is each being "proved"?

I basically posed this same question at the very beginning of the earlier
thread.  My own answer, after much discussion and consideration, is based
on this passage from the first manuscript draft of "A Neglected Argument"
in R 842.

CSP:  Thus, I am to outline two arguments, one supporting the other. The
latter, which I will designate as the humble argument, although every mind
can feel its force, rests on far too many premisses to be stated in full.
Taking the general description of it as a minor premiss, and a certain
theory of logic as a major premiss, it will follow by a simple syllogism
that the humble argument is logical and that consequently whoever
acknowledges its premisses need have no scruple in accepting its conclusion.

The major premiss, "a certain theory of logic," is that every process of
thought that produces a spontaneous conjecture of instinctive reason is
logical.  The minor premiss, "a general description of" the humble
argument, is that it is a process of thought that produces a spontaneous
conjecture of instinctive reason. The conclusion that follows is "that the
humble argument is logical."  Notice the modesty of this claim; rather
than *demonstrating
*the Reality of God, Peirce sought merely to show that anyone who embraces
his theory of logic, and recognizes that the humble argument is consistent
with it, "need have no scruple in accepting its conclusion."

As for what it would mean to "prove" the major premiss--Peirce indicated in
"A Neglected Argument" that its primary experiential consequence is that,
if it is correct, humanity's instinctive reason should exhibit a remarkable
tendency to generate spontaneous conjectures that successfully withstand
further deductive and inductive scrutiny.  He then contended that this is
exactly what we find to be the case, attributing it to what Galileo had
called "*il lume naturale*" and advocating "that it is the simpler
Hypothesis in the sense of the more facile and natural, the one that
instinct suggests, that must be preferred" (CP 6.477, EP 2:444-445).  He
also explictly rejected the alternative explanation.

CSP:  But may they not have come fortuitously, or by some such modification
of chance as the Darwinian supposes?  I answer that three or four
independent methods of computation show that it would be ridiculous to
suppose our science to have so come to pass … There is a reason, an
interpretation, a logic, in the course of scientific advance, and this
indisputably proves to him who has perceptions of rational, or significant,
relations, that man's mind must have been attuned to the truth of things in
order to discover what he has discovered. It is the very bed-rock of
logical truth. (CP 6.476, EP 2:444)

Peirce included some specific calculations in the manuscripts that
substantiate his claim here.  In R 842, he invoked "the game of twenty
questions," in which even the best player usually requires the full
allotment--which means sifting through 2^20 (roughly a million) facts, such
that on average it would take about half that many guesses to get to the
right one purely by chance, whereas the history of science shows that it
rarely requires more than a few.  In R 843, he equated the total number of
"logically simple hypotheses that might be proposed to explain any given
hypothesis" to the total number of corpuscles in the visible universe,
which is 10^64; and since "the number of seconds in three million years" is
10^14, "the odds would be 10^50 to 1,--which means 'utterly
overwhelming,'--against the right explanation of any given fact having ever
yet entered into the mind of man by chance; to say nothing of the labor of
testing each hypothesis."

Regards,

Jon