Jeff, List:

That is helpful, thank you.  I will try to take a closer look at CP
2.79-118 and see if it prompts any further thoughts to discuss.

Peirce wrote something similar to what you cited from "A Neglected
Argument" in R 842; I quoted and commented on it in the thread on "Peirce's
Theory of Thinking," so I will not do so again here.  My impression from
both passages is that he did not believe that he had adequately spelled out
his complete "theory of thinking" in anything that he had written
previously.  In fact, just this morning I was looking through some
manuscripts from 1911 (R 846-856)--thanks again to SPIN (
http://fromthepage.com/collection/show?collection_id=16)--in which Peirce
made several attempts to start writing a "logical criticism" or "logical
critique" of "the Christian creed" or "articles of religious faith."  All
of them begin by laying out his theory of thinking, and none of them manage
to complete that task, let alone progress beyond it.

Regards,

Jon