Jon,

I could not agree more. Excellent, to my mind.

Best regards,

Kirsti Määttänen

Jon Awbrey kirjoitti 4.11.2016 15:51:
Jerry, List,

Inquiry begins in Doubt and aims for Belief but the rush
to get from D to B and achieve mental peace can cause us
to short the integrated circuits of inquiry that we need
to Compute Better Answers.

For one thing, we sometimes operate under the influence
of fixed ideas and hidden assumptions that keep us from
taking in the sense of fairly plain advice, so I'd just
recommend reading those versions of the Pragmatic Maxim
again and again and trying to triangulate the points to
which they point.

For another thing, not everything in logic is an argument.
A well-developed formal system will have:  (1) Primitives,
the undefined terms that acquire meaning from their place
in the whole system rather than from explicit definitions,
(2) Definitions, that connect derived terms to primitives,
(3) Axioms, propositions taken to be true for the sake of
the theorems can be derived from them by means of certain
(4) Inference Rules.

But that's just the formal underpinnings -- there's all sorts
of informal heuristics, regulative principles, rules of thumb
that go toward sustaining any system of significant practical
use, and that's where bits of practical advice like the Maxim
in question come into play.

Regards,

Jon