Jon S, list,

In your Part 4 "Beyond Engineering", you wrote,

   pronounced “rep-re-sen-TAY-men”

Happy to see the correct stress placement (as Peirce had it in the Century Dictionary, and John Deely pushed for it too), but it'd be even better if the "s" were a "z".

I'd guess that you'd count such "ruling arts" (their old label) as design, architecture, community planning, — arts of governing, being governed, and self-governing, — as parts of engineering (and other productive sciences/arts such as medicine) in some broad sense.

A decade or more ago, I used to argue here at peirce-l that there's difference between (A) will, decision-making, character, ethics, etc., and (B) ability, carrying-out, competence, (and what I dubbed "cheiromenics"), etc.; for example, we don't regard flaws of character per se as flaws of competence per se, or vice versa (although for example a character flaw such as recklessness can lead to needlessly incompetent practice). Well, I got tired of arguing about it, obviously.

Anyway, I'd still regard design etc. as knowledge, or at least conception, of forces, strengths, impetuses, whereby to decide things or, at any rate, for things to get decided, as opposed to engineering etc. as know-how, knowledge of means. Apparently, at one time design was seen by many as simply the application of maths of optimization. Engineering obviously involves the application of probability maths and statistics, although in its design aspects it does get involved with optimization.

What I'm saying is that design, architecture, community planning, constitution-writing, education intending the building of character, etc., don't seem to be simply aimed, as in the old formula, at "useful + beautiful", i.e., engineering with aesthetic art along for the ride in an added sidecar.

The distinction seems parallel to that between two kinds of decision-making itself (A) political (and martial) affairs (decision-making in regard to decision-making, deciding who or what gets to decide) and (B) economic, business, financial affairs (decision-making as to means, resources, etc.).

I seem to remember that I broached this subject with you once before, but I forget. I doubt that I'll convince any Peirceans that the will-ability distinction is quite basic (they tend to be satisfied with Peirce's trichotomy of will, feeling, and general conception), still I'd draw your attention to the above distinction as worth attention at some level, if not the most basic level, in your work and meditation on the logic of ingenuity.

Best, Ben