"To go further than this, and try to establish abstract laws of greatness
and superiority, *is to argue without an object*; in practical life,
particular facts count more than generalizations.

Enough has now been said about these questions of possibility and the
reverse, of past or future fact, and of the relative greatness or smallness
of things."