Edwina, list:

“We didn't sit down and forge a synthesis. We all knew each other's
writings; all spoke with each other. We all had the same goal, which was
simply to understand fully the evolutionary process...By combining our
knowledge, we managed to straighten out all the conflicts and disagreements
so that finally a united picture of evolution emerged. The theory of
evolution is quite rightly called the greatest unifying theory in biology.”
~Ernst Mayr,

“C.H. Waddington’s isolation and irritation when he made his famous comment
on the limitations of population genetics (Waddington, 1967), and won
admiration for his panache but no consideration for his content: “The whole
real guts of evolution- which is, how do you come to have horses and
tigers, and things- is outside the mathematical theory.”
~Stephen Jay Gould

This isn’t all of it.  It is only a selected microcosm of an old pattern of
conflict that results when one asks what suffices as an explanation (*aitia*).
For instance, what does Mayr mean by “understand fully”?

It is not to merely label Mayr as a reductionist (neoDarwinist, the term is
associated with the meeting at Princeton, ~1940), or Waddington as a
holist.  Yet, there is a lot in this narrative from which one can get a
better awareness of the difference of expression between “scientific” and
“philosophical” desires (different types of *orexis*).

For instance, compare Mayr and Provine’s “The Evolutionary Synthesis:
Perspectives on the Unification of Biology” with Waddington’s “Towards a
Theoretical Biology”.  Each gives a personal perspective in their
respective books.  I would also recommend beginning with Hamburger’s essay
in the former.

Hth,

Jerry R