Edwina,

I put myself forth *as* a biologist before anything else and I object to
your classification of mutation/natural selection (rather, descent with
modification) as a *neoDarwinian hypothesis*.  That’s just terrible.

There is a lot that has been contemplated about chance/spontaneity in
evolutionary processes.  Goldschmidt’s hopeful monsters and Waddington’s
epigenetic landscape and atavism come to mind (cf., Baldwin effect).

From a quick glance of the introduction of Brooks/Wiley book, I suspect
there ought to be no contradictions between these since it was Waddington
who organized the Bellagio conference.

Best,
Jerry R