Gary R., Edwina, Clark, List:

Indeed, Peirce defined "potential" as "indeterminate yet capable of
determination in any special case" (CP 6.185; 1898), but wrote that "Ideas,
or Possibles"--i.e., the constituents of the Universe of 1ns, "whatever has
its Being in itself alone"--are "incapable of perfect actualization on
account of [their] essential vagueness" (EP 2:478-479; 1908).  I found this
distinction very helpful in sorting out Peirce's cosmology when we were
discussing it on the List last fall.

As I said back then, I believe that we should interpret Peirce's earlier
writings on the subject, including "A Guess at the Riddle" (1887-8) and the
Monist metaphysical series (1891-3), in light of his later writings,
including the RLT lectures (1898) and "A Neglected Argument" (1908).  So I
agree with Gary that 3ns as continuity is primordial *overall*, but I think
that both of us agree with Edwina that all three Categories were present
from the very beginning of our *existing *universe.  On that basis, the
three of us also seem to agree that while chance as 1ns can *break up*
habits, it does not *create *new ones, since that is a matter of 3ns.

Gary quoted Clark as having written, "I think Peirce has [two] categories
of chance. One is discontinuous whereas the other is continuous. This ends
up being important in various ways."  However, I do not recall seeing that
statement in any of Clark's messages, and it also does not show up in the
List archive.  More importantly, where does this notion arise in Peirce's
writings?

Clark's earlier observation that "chance is the outward aspect of that
which within itself is feeling" (CP 6.265; 1892) points the way to one
possible translation of the three modes of Interpretants in human semeiosis
(feeling/action/thought) to the physico-chemical and biological realms.

   - 1ns could be chance, spontaneity, freedom, indeterminism, "sporting";
   the question then becomes how this can be a possible/actual/habitual *effect
   *produced by a Sign, since we usually associate such concepts with
the *absence
   *of a (sufficient) cause.
   - 2ns was always the clearest, as there are obviously
   physical/existential actions and reactions in nature, and we can also
   recognize Peirce's use of "law" as brute determinism here.
   - 3ns could be habit-taking or what Clark called "the statistical
   tendency," although my working hypothesis is that all (and only)
*Final *Interpretants
   are habits.  I guess that we would then have the Immediate Interpretant as
   a range of *possible *habit-takings, the Dynamic Interpretant as any *actual
   *habit-taking, and the Final Interpretant as a *habit *of habit-taking;
   but is this sufficiently analogous to possible/actual/habitual *thoughts
   *in human semeiosis?

I see that Clark also commented yesterday, "If law were primordial it
wouldn’t need to be explained whereas Peirce is explicit that it must be
explained."  This suggests that if *continuity *is indeed primordial, then
it does not need to be explained--and it seems to me that this is basically
what Peirce was arguing in CP 6.490 (1908), although there he referred
instead to "super-order" and "super-habit" as "any general state of things
whatsoever."  I understand his claim to be that the Reality of God--or
Mind, as Edwina prefers to say--as *Ens necessarium* is the only postulate
or premise that can account for the reality of the three Universes of
Experience, *without *already assuming it.  On the other hand, if we take
all three Categories to be primordial overall, then *none *of them needs to
be explained--and I suspect that Peirce would reject this as blocking the
way of inquiry.

Regards,

Jon S.