Edwina, Gary F., List:

GF:  Now, “that Universe being precisely an argument” (EP2:194), the laws
of nature would have to be the “leading principles” which are “working out
its conclusions in living realities” (EP2:193). These are clearly symbols,
though not conventional, and (as constituents of an argument) take the form
of propositions.

This makes sense to me, although I still need some assistance sorting out
in my own mind what it means to be a non-conventional Symbol.  I anticipate
that Stjernfelt's book will be helpful in this regard, although my
impression is that it does not address laws of nature--at least, not
directly.

CSP:  I reply that every scientific explanation of a natural phenomenon is
a hypothesis that there is something in nature to which the human reason is
analogous; and that it really is so all the successes of science in its
applications to human convenience are witnesses.

I wonder if what I am seeking in the other thread--the
physico-chemical/biological equivalent of thought in the 3ns-mode
Interpretants of human semeiosis--is precisely this "something in nature to
which the human reason is analogous."

ET:   I'd say that our primary experience of these natural laws is
indexical, in that we physically connect with the RESULTS of these laws.
Intellectually analyzing them and developing symbolic constructs - is a
secondary step.

I agree--we *experience *the instantiations of natural laws (2ns), and *reason
*to the laws themselves as *generalizations *of that experience (3ns).

ET:  My focus is on the natural laws themselves, in themselves, and how
they operate.

This is what I am still trying to figure out--the semeiotic details of what
is going on in nature before and apart from *human *representation of it as
natural laws.