        Gary F.
        From: Jon Alan Schmidt [mailto:jonalanschm...@gmail.com]
 Sent: 6-Apr-17 17:52
        John S., List:
        JFS:  In summary, I believe that the term 'law of nature' is a
metaphor for aspects of nature that we can only describe.
        Again, I am asking about those aspects of nature themselves, not our
linguistic or mathematical descriptions of them.  What class of Signs
are they?  Obviously, in posing this question I am presupposing that
general laws of nature are real, and that our existing universe
consists of Signs all the way down; i.e., "all this universe is
perfused with signs, if it is not composed exclusively of signs."

        [GF: ] This quote is very often taken out of the context which
specifies what Peirce is referring to as “this universe”:

        “It seems a strange thing, when one comes to ponder over it, that
a sign should leave its interpreter to supply a part of its meaning;
but the explanation of the phenomenon lies in the fact that the
entire universe,— not merely the universe of existents, but all
that wider universe, embracing the universe of existents as a part,
the universe which we are all accustomed to refer to as ‘the
truth,’— that all this universe is perfused with signs, if it is
not composed exclusively of signs” (EP2:394).
        Now, “that Universe being precisely an argument” (EP2:194), the
laws of nature would have to be the “leading principles” which
are “working out its conclusions in living realities” (EP2:193).
These are clearly symbols, though not conventional, and (as
constituents of an argument) take the form of propositions. I think
John is right to call them metaphorical, as our primary experience of
these symbols is anthropomorphic (EP2:193). We ascribe these forms to
the greater Universe just as we do with “facts”: “What we call
a ‘fact’ is something having the structure of a proposition, but
supposed to be an element of the very universe itself. The purpose of
every sign is to express “fact,” and by being joined with other
signs, to approach as nearly as possible to determining an
interpretant which would be the  perfect Truth, the absolute Truth,
and as such (at least, we may use this language) would be the very
Universe” (EP2:304).
        To me, this implies the most straightforward answer to your
question, although it may not use the language you are looking for.
        Gary f.
        Thanks,

        www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt [1] - twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt
[2]