John S, list,

John S wrote: "As Peirce emphasized and nearly all scientists agree, nothing
is a dogma of science." Well, I would certainly agree that nothing *ought *to
be a dogma.

And yet Peirce railed against "the mechanical philosophy," materialism,
necessitarianism (recall his response to Camus in "Reply to the
Necessitarians"), reducing cosmology to  the nothing-but-ism of
actions/reactions of 2ns, etc.

Certainly not holding dogmatic views is an *ideal* of scientific, but I do
not agree you in that it seems to me that any number of scientists in
Peirce's day and in ours as well yet hold them, whether they would say they
do, or think they do, or not.

Late in life, Peirce concluded the N.A. (not including the Additaments) by
writing that even "approximate acceptance of the Pragmaticist principle"
has helped those who do accept it:

". . . to a mightily clear discernment of some fundamental truths that
other philosophers have seen but through a mist, and most of them not at
all. Among such truths -- all of them old, of course, yet acknowledged by
few -- I reckon their denial of necessitarianism; their rejection of any
"consciousness" different from a visceral or other external sensation;
their acknowledgment that there are, in a Pragmatistical sense, Real habits
(which Really would produce effects, under circumstances that may not
happen to get actualized, and are thus Real generals); and their insistence
upon interpreting all hypostatic abstractions in terms of what they would
or might (not actually will) come to in the concrete. . . . "
(CP 6.485).

It seems to me that Peirce is clear--and while here he seems to be
addressing philosophers in particular, elsewhere and frequently he argues
this for science more generally--that many thinkers (philosophers and
scientists alike) do indeed hold such dogmas as "necessitarianism" and
"mechanism" (==Sheldrake's slide for dogma #1 "*Everything is essentially
mechanical*). That Peirce's views were far from dogmatic follows for me
from his theory of inquiry including his pragmaticism.

Again, I don't necessarily agree with Sheldrake's list of putatie dogmas,
and I would certainly fully agree with you if by "nothing is a dogma of
science" you mean that this should be an essential maxim of the ethics of
science. But just as Peirce argued that every scientist has a
metaphysics--even as certain scientists argue against metaphysics
altogether, that everyone of them ought take pains at discovering what are
her perhaps hidden metaphysical presuppositions--I think that even those
who claim that "nothing is a dogma of science" (but, I must quickly add,
certainly not you, John) still many yet hold certain dogmatic views, and
that these can enter into even whole 'schools' in certain fields of
scientific endeavor.

Best,

Gary R

[image: Gary Richmond]