From: Gary Richmond [mailto:gary.richm...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, 01 June 2017 11:19 PM
To: Peirce-L <peirce-l@list.iupui.edu>
Subject: Re: [PEIRCE-L] Re: [biosemiotics:9235] Rupert Sheldrake TED Talk

John S, list,

John S wrote: "As Peirce emphasized and nearly all scientists agree, nothing is
a dogma of science." Well, I would certainly agree that nothing ought to be a
dogma.

And yet Peirce railed against "the mechanical philosophy," materialism,
necessitarianism (recall his response to Camus in "Reply to the
Necessitarians"), reducing cosmology to  the nothing-but-ism of
actions/reactions of 2ns, etc.

Certainly not holding dogmatic views is an ideal of scientific, but I do not
agree you in that it seems to me that any number of scientists in Peirce's day
and in ours as well yet hold them, whether they would say they do, or think
they do, or not.

Late in life, Peirce concluded the N.A. (not including the Additaments) by
writing that even "approximate acceptance of the Pragmaticist principle" has
helped those who do accept it:

". . . to a mightily clear discernment of some fundamental truths that other
philosophers have seen but through a mist, and most of them not at all. Among
such truths -- all of them old, of course, yet acknowledged by few -- I reckon
their denial of necessitarianism; their rejection of any "consciousness"
different from a visceral or other external sensation; their acknowledgment
that there are, in a Pragmatistical sense, Real habits (which Really would
produce effects, under circumstances that may not happen to get actualized, and
are thus Real generals); and their insistence upon interpreting all hypostatic
abstractions in terms of what they would or might (not actually will) come to
in the concrete. . . . "
(CP 6.485).

It seems to me that Peirce is clear--and while here he seems to be addressing
philosophers in particular, elsewhere and frequently he argues this for science
more generally--that many thinkers (philosophers and scientists alike) do
indeed hold such dogmas as "necessitarianism" and "mechanism" (==Sheldrake's
slide for dogma #1 "Everything is essentially mechanical). That Peirce's views
were far from dogmatic follows for me from his theory of inquiry including his
pragmaticism.

Again, I don't necessarily agree with Sheldrake's list of putatie dogmas, and I
would certainly fully agree with you if by "nothing is a dogma of science" you
mean that this should be an essential maxim of the ethics of science. But just
as Peirce argued that every scientist has a metaphysics--even as certain
scientists argue against metaphysics altogether, that everyone of them ought
take pains at discovering what are her perhaps hidden metaphysical
presuppositions--I think that even those who claim that "nothing is a dogma of
science" (but, I must quickly add, certainly not you, John) still many yet hold
certain dogmatic views, and that these can enter into even whole 'schools' in
certain fields of scientific endeavor.

Best,

Gary R

[Gary Richmond]

Gary Richmond
Philosophy and Critical Thinking
Communication Studies
LaGuardia College of the City University of New York
C 745
718 482-5690<tel:(718)%20482-5690>

On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 2:34 AM, John F Sowa