John, list,

I agree with much of what you’ve said here, and my book deals with biosemiotics
from Chapter 3 on, so I won’t repeat any of that here. But I’m surprised that
no one in this thread has cited Lowell 3.13, as it’s possibly Peirce’s clearest
statement of the possibility of genuine Thirdness and representation going
beyond human thought and language.

In the Peirce texts I’ve quoted in the past week, he established that
representamen is a more general term than sign, signs being the kind of
representamens that “convey notions to human minds” (emphasis Peirce’s), and
that “Possibly there may be Representamens that are not Signs.” But
“representamen” was defined in the first place by starting with signs, as “such
conveyers of thought are familiarly known to us,” and making “the best analysis
I can of what is essential to a sign, and I define a representamen as being
whatever that analysis applies to.” This way he could use the term “sign” to
refer strictly to human uses of them, because he now had a different word for
the genuine Thirdness and triadicity of relatedness which is “essential” to
signs apart from the “accidental human element."

As I explained in the Lowell 3.13 thread, a couple of years later Peirce
decided that he might as well use the word “sign” itself, instead of
“representamen,” for “what is essential to a sign” (though for awhile he used
the words as synonyms). And it was around this time that Peirce began using the
terms “sem[e]iotic” and “semiosis” much more than he had before. So Peircean
semiotics is naturally associated with a notion of “sign” which is not limited
to human use of signs; but the Lowell lectures may represent his first clear
move in that direction.

Gary f.