BODY { font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;
}Jon, list - using the term 'more legitimate' is terminology used by
a Gatekeeper. After all, to declare that 'some readings of Peirce are
more legitimate' is exactly the wording used by a Gatekeeper - who
declares that some 'readings/interpretations' are 'more legitimate'!
Legitimate according to what non-individual authoritative scale?
As I said - all each one of us, who are each equal to each other and
each as dumb/smart as each other can do - is to state that our
individual interpretation agrees/disagrees with another - and that's
all.
As Peirce himself said - to leave truth up to an individual is 'most
pernicious' - and no individual has the right to say that a
reading/interpretation is 'more legitimate/truthful than another.
Again - all one can do is say: I personally disagree - and my own
view is quite different and is such and such. Period. None of us has
the right to declare that another view has a universal non-validity
[i.e., is 'not legitimate']. ...You can't say it's 'unPeircean' or is
'not legitimate' because that inserts an external authoritative
criterion. All you can do is say: I, personally, don't agree.....
Edwina
On Mon 22/01/18 9:48 AM , Jon Alan Schmidt [email protected]
sent:
Edwina, List:
I never have and never would set myself up as gatekeeper to Peirce
or some kind of authoritative interpreter of his writings. What I
have argued in the past, but have no desire to rehash now, is that
some readings of Peirce (or any other author) are more legitimate
than others. Instead, I respectfully would like to suggest that when
we discuss semeiotic concepts and terminology, we should be clear
about the specific level of Peirce's architectonic classification of
the sciences in which we are operating. There are at least three
that seem to come up regularly.
*The normative science of logic as semeiotic.
*The metaphysical doctrine of semeiotic realism.
*The special science of biology, which includes biosemiotics.
This order corresponds not only to how they are arranged in Peirce's
scheme, but also to how much he had to say directly about them during
his lifetime. As such, I acknowledge that there is more freedom in
biosemiotics--the topic of this particular thread--than in the
philosophical aspects of semeiotic (logic and metaphysics) to go well
beyond anything that Peirce explicitly stated, while still remaining
within the scope of broadly Peircean views.
Regards,
Jon Alan Schmidt - Olathe, Kansas, USAProfessional Engineer, Amateur
Philosopher, Lutheran Laymanwww.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt [1] -
twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt [2]
On Sun, Jan 21, 2018 at 11:54 AM, Edwina Taborsky wrote:
Just one other comment. I think that we have to be careful on this
list [and I am NOT referring to you, John] that we do not set
ourselves up as gatekeepers to Peirce. One or two people on this list
seem to think that way - i.e.,I've been told several times that my
views are 'UnPeircean'. My response is that we are all equal; I, for
example, am as smart and as dumb as any other person. I don't think
that anyone can tell another person that their views are 'unPeircean'
or are 'not Peirce' because none of us are the Authoritative
Gatekeepers of What is Peirce. All one can say is: 'I disagree with
your view'.....and outline your own view. That's it.
Links:
------
[1] http://www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt
[2] http://twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt
[3]
http://webmail.primus.ca/javascript:top.opencompose(\'[email protected]\',\'\',\'\',\'\')
-----------------------------
PEIRCE-L subscribers: Click on "Reply List" or "Reply All" to REPLY ON PEIRCE-L
to this message. PEIRCE-L posts should go to [email protected] . To
UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message not to PEIRCE-L but to [email protected] with the
line "UNSubscribe PEIRCE-L" in the BODY of the message. More at
http://www.cspeirce.com/peirce-l/peirce-l.htm .