Edwina, List:

A gatekeeper is someone who seeks to restrict what others say and do; I
have simply expressed my personal opinion, exactly the same as you.  Did
you even read my whole post, or just stop and react after the second
sentence?  Please note what I said in the last sentence, in particular.  In
the past, I have not adequately recognized the difference between talking
about biosemiotics and talking about semeiotic within logic and
metaphysics, for which I hereby apologize.

Thanks,

Jon

On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 9:16 AM, Edwina Taborsky <[email protected]> wrote:

> Jon, list - using the term 'more legitimate' is terminology used by a
> Gatekeeper. After all, to declare that 'some readings of Peirce are more
> legitimate' is exactly the wording used by a Gatekeeper - who declares that
> some 'readings/interpretations' are 'more legitimate'!  Legitimate
> according to what non-individual authoritative scale?
>
> As I said - all each one of us, who are each equal to each other and each
> as dumb/smart as each other can do - is to state that our individual
> interpretation agrees/disagrees with another - and that's all.
>
> As Peirce himself said - to leave truth up to an individual is 'most
> pernicious' - and no individual has the right to say that a
> reading/interpretation is 'more legitimate/truthful than another. Again -
> all one can do is say: I personally disagree - and my own view is
> quite different and is such and such. Period. None of us has the right to
> declare that another view has a universal non-validity [i.e., is 'not
> legitimate']. ...You can't say it's 'unPeircean' or is 'not legitimate'
> because that inserts an external authoritative criterion. All you can do is
> say: I, personally, don't agree.....
>
> Edwina
>
> On Mon 22/01/18 9:48 AM , Jon Alan Schmidt [email protected] sent:
>
> Edwina, List:
>
> I never have and never would set myself up as gatekeeper to Peirce or some
> kind of authoritative interpreter of his writings.  What I have argued in
> the past, but have no desire to rehash now, is that some readings of Peirce
> (or any other author) are more legitimate than others.  Instead, I
> respectfully would like to suggest that when we discuss semeiotic concepts
> and terminology, we should be clear about the specific level of Peirce's
> architectonic classification of the sciences in which we are operating.
> There are at least three that seem to come up regularly.
>
>    1. The normative science of logic as semeiotic.
>    2. The metaphysical doctrine of semeiotic realism.
>    3. The special science of biology, which includes biosemiotics.
>
> This order corresponds not only to how they are arranged in Peirce's
> scheme, but also to how much he had to say directly about them during his
> lifetime.  As such, I acknowledge that there is more freedom in
> biosemiotics--the topic of this particular thread--than in the
> philosophical aspects of semeiotic (logic and metaphysics) to go well
> beyond anything that Peirce explicitly stated, while still remaining within
> the scope of broadly Peircean views.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jon Alan Schmidt - Olathe, Kansas, USA
> Professional Engineer, Amateur Philosopher, Lutheran Layman
> www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt - twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt
>
> On Sun, Jan 21, 2018 at 11:54 AM, Edwina Taborsky <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>> Just one other comment. I think that we have to be careful on this list
>> [and I am NOT referring to you, John] that we do not set ourselves up as
>> gatekeepers to Peirce. One or two people on this list seem to think that
>> way - i.e.,I've been told several times that my views are 'UnPeircean'.  My
>> response is that we are all equal; I, for example, am as smart and as dumb
>> as any other person. I don't think that anyone can tell another person that
>> their views are 'unPeircean' or are 'not Peirce' because none of us are the
>> Authoritative Gatekeepers of What is Peirce.  All one can say is: 'I
>> disagree with your view'.....and outline your own view. That's it.
>>
>
-----------------------------
PEIRCE-L subscribers: Click on "Reply List" or "Reply All" to REPLY ON PEIRCE-L 
to this message. PEIRCE-L posts should go to [email protected] . To 
UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message not to PEIRCE-L but to [email protected] with the 
line "UNSubscribe PEIRCE-L" in the BODY of the message. More at 
http://www.cspeirce.com/peirce-l/peirce-l.htm .




Reply via email to