Stephen, Jon S, list,

Stephen wrote:

SR: I think this is a needless and unproductive complexification of matters
Peirce himself did not see as important.

I completely disagree that Jon's inquiry "is a needless and unproductive
complexification of matters Peirce himself did not see as important." In
fact, Jon is raising the curtain on an aspect of Peirce's late semeiotic
which several members of this forum find of considerable interest, while it
is certainly deepening my understanding of these topics. I see no reason
whatsoever to support your comment that "Peirce himself did not see" this
as an important inquiry and quite the contrary.

SR: The term perfect sign does not appear in CP. The term perfect is used
in all manner of contexts but less than 100 times. There are over 1000
references to signs but none is preceded by the word perfect.

Two points. First, the CP is but a sampling of Peirce's work, so your stats
hold little, if any, weight. Were one able to sample the frequency of
certain terms and expressions in all the published work (including, for
example, NEM and the PEP's chronological edition, but others as well; and
never forgetting that much of Peirce's work has not yet been published) one
might come up with a *very* different frequency rate.

Second, the frequency of a term or expression says almost nothing about
it's importance, especially when one considers that Peirce introduced a
great deal of new terminology into his late semeiotic researches, only a
fraction of which has, to my knowledge, been published. Take any number of
terms and expressions from that late work and you will find few instances
of these terms, some of which are considered of great importance to a
number of established semioticians. Now had Peirce lived another ten years,
say. . .

SR:  I think it inhibits philosophy itself to regard a term not fundamental
to an author's understanding as somehow worth extended treatment as
something that will somehow advance u thinking.

What *I* think "inhibits philosophy" is the tendency to "block the road of
inquiry" because one  doesn't find it of personal interest or personal
value. You have no idea, in my opinion, whether or not this late move by
Peirce is "fundamental" to his understanding, and even less how further
research into it will or will not "somehow advance" our understanding of
the topics under consideration.

SR: Perhaps we should rate subjects by their prominence in Peirce's own
lexicon

First, again your estimate of the "prominence" of "subjects" in "Peirce's
own lexicon" seems based on a string search of the CP, hardly likely to
give an accurate account of what was important for Peirce and which may
warrant further inquiry by those, like JAS, who seem likely to contribute
to it.

Besides, as mentioned above, there being much more published Peirce beyond
the CP (which edition has significant limitations), as John Sowa recently
noted a vast amount of manuscript material hasn't yet been published, and
this is particularly so, I believe, as regards his late work, especially
his late work in semeiotics, his letters, marginalia, contributions to
dictionaries, etc.

Upon this first, and in one sense this sole, rule of reason, that in order
to learn you must desire to learn, and in so desiring not be satisfied with
what you already incline to think, there follows one corollary which itself
deserves to be inscribed upon every wall of the city of philosophy:

Do not block the way of inquiry.

Best,

Gary R

*Gary Richmond*