Helmut, Gary F, List,

On my reading of Kant and Peirce, Kant's reasons for holding that the
fundamental principle of morality expresses unconditional requirements for the
validity of practical reasoning are consonant with Peirce's reasons for holding
that the laws of logic express unconditional requirements for the validity of
all reasoning generally.

Having said that, I should point out that Kant uses the term a priori to
characterize quite a number of cognitions and their parts including inferences,
judgments, conceptions, and other elements of cognition. As an example of an a
priori element in moral cognition, consider the role of the feeling of respect
in deliberation about the what is required as a matter of duty. As an example
of an a priori element in aesthetic judgment, consider the condition of seeking
harmony in the experience of the beautiful. As an example of an a priori
element in mathematical cognition, consider the role of the intuition of the
whole of ideal space in geometrical reasoning.

In each case, I tend to think that Peirce agrees with Kant that these are a
priori and not merely a posteriori elements in our practical, aesthetic and
mathematical cognition.

--Jeff

Jeffrey Downard
Associate Professor