Gary F, Jon S, John S, List,

GF: the set of “hypotheses” you've presented here seem quite compatible with
Peirce's ideas about the ‘development of concrete reasonableness.’ But i put
the quote marks around “hypotheses” because i regard that idea not as a
testable hypothesis but as a regulative principle for the logic of pragmatism.
To me it has the flavor of that 19th-century optimism which I do find in Peirce
but not in my own feelings or beliefs.

JD:  For both Peirce and Kant, the regulative principles for scientific inquiry
are akin to practical postulates. They are general rules that are adopted for
the sake of regulating our conduct. In addition to regulating inquiry, they may
also function as explanatory hypotheses that can be tested against common
experience in metaphysics and against specialized forms of observation in the
special sciences. Peirce affirms this in "The Logic of Mathematics, an
attempt..." when he claims that Metaphysics consists in the results of the
absolute acceptance of logical principles not merely as regulatively valid, but
as truths of being." [CP 1.486]

I'd like better to understand how Peirce's account of the law of metaphysics is
modeled on his account of the law of logic. Here is the summary statement of
the three clauses in each of those laws.

Law of Logic:

Monadic clause: is that fact is in its existence perfectly definite. Inquiry
properly carried on will reach some definite and fixed result or approximate
indefinitely toward that limit. Every subject is existentially determinate with
respect to each predicate.

Dyadic clause: there are two and but two possible determinations of each
subject with reference to each predicate, the affirmative and the negative. Not
only is the dyadic character manifest by the double determination, but also by
the double prescription; first that the possibilities are two at least, and
second that they are two at most. The determination is not both affirmative and
negative, but it is either one or the other. A third limiting form of
determination belongs to any subject [with regard] to [some other] one whose
mode of existence is of a lower order, [the limiting case involving] a relative
zero, related to the subjects of the affirmation and the negation as an
inconsistent hypothesis is to a consistent one.

Triadic clause:  the triadic clause of the law of logic recognizes three
elements in truth, (a) the idea, or predicate, (b) the fact or subject, (c) the
thought which originally put them together and recognizes they are together;
from whence many things result, especially a threefold inferential process
which either first follows the order of involution from living thought or
ruling law, and existential case under the condition of the law to the
predication of the idea of the law in that case [abduction]; or second,
proceeds from the living law and the inherence of the idea of that law in an
existential case, to the subsumption of that case and to the condition of the
law [deductive demonstration]; or third, proceeds from the subsumption of an
existential case under the condition of a living law, and the inherence of the
idea of that law in that case to the living law itself [induction]. Thus the
law of logic governs the relations of different predicates of one subject. [CP
1.485]

Law of metaphysics:

Monadic clause:  accordingly, it is to be assumed that the universe has an
explanation, the function of which, like that of every logical explanation, is
to unify its observed variety. It follows that the root of all being is One;
and so far as different subjects have a common character they partake of an
identical being. This, or something like this, is the monadic clause of the law.

Dyadic clause:  second, drawing a general induction from all observed facts, we
find all realization of existence lies in opposition, such as attractions,
repulsions, visibilities, and centres of potentiality generally. »The very
hyssop on the wall grows in that chink because the whole universe could not
prevent its growing.« This is, or is a part of, a dyadic clause of the law.

Triadic clause:  under the third clause, we have, as a deduction from the
principle that thought is the mirror of being, the law that the end of being
and highest reality is the living impersonation of the idea that evolution
generates. Whatever is real is the law of something less real. [CP 1.486]

What are the implications of there being three clauses for both of these laws?
Does the division into three clauses provide us with any suggestions for
thinking about the manner in which laws govern facts? The last assertion in the
third clause is interesting. It seems to reflect the idea that laws form an
interconnected system, and they govern the relations between individual facts
in virtue of such systematic relations between laws of differing degrees of
generality.

What guidance does this regulative principle offer with respect to formulating
hypotheses in the special sciences?  Let's consider a test case. Here are two
competing hypotheses about the nature of time and space in the science of
cosmology?

First hypothesis:  in the last lecture of RLT, Peirce formulates a cosmological
hypothesis to the effect that real space may have evolved from a system of
infinite dimensions that were not clearly separated, one from the other. Those
dimensions were vague in character. Over time, as the real character of space
and time evolved, the dimensions of the universe differentiated, one from
another.

Second hypothesis:  initially, space and time had a finite number of
dimensions. Perhaps, initially, there was but one point with no freedom of
movement. Over time, space evolved to have one dimension, where infinitesimally
small things had one degree of freedom of movement in a single temporal
dimension. As things evolved further, additional spatial dimensions emerged
until things settled down to three spatial and one temporal dimension--which is
the sort of space in which we live here on earth.

Here is an interesting observation about the spatial relations that are found
when energetic particles are brought together in a plasma state at high
temperatures. These temperatures are akin what might have been prevalent in an
early phase of the universe when there was a relatively continuous plasma
spread through space and time.

https://www.space.com/42729-quark-gluon-plasma-blobs.html

Early Universe 'Soup' Cooked Up in Weird Plasma Blobs |
Space<https://www.space.com/42729-quark-gluon-plasma-blobs.html>
www.space.com
Researchers have re-created tiny blobs of the same primordial 'soup' that made
up the early universe.

Do these two hypotheses generate different explanations of the observations?
Why do we find that (i) one particle give rise to a circular spatial pattern,
(ii) two particles givesrise to an elliptical spatial pattern, and (iii) three
particles give rise to a triangular spatial pattern? If we seek to explain the
phenomena, we should take note of the initial continuity of space and time that
are posited in Peirce's hypothesis and the initial discontinuity of the
dimensions that are posited in the competing hypothesis.

Note that the explanation offered in the article appeals to the common
experience of tossing rocks in a pond and watching the ripples spread. Should
we assume that really small things, like quarks and gluons, behave like rocks
tossed into the water? What could possibly justify such a leap? Similarly, we
have a common experience of floating with our heads just above the surface in a
pond and feeling what a wave of pressure when it moves through the water. As
such, we understand that the ripples on the surface are like a two-dimensional
image of a three-dimensional spatial phenomena.

Can we draw on these common experiences to distinguish what might follow from
each of the hypotheses? What is the difference between claiming that the
present character of the space and time with which we are familiar on earth
either (1) differentiated from an undifferentiated space and time of infinite
dimensions or (2) emerged from a space and time of a smaller number of finite
dimensions?

On Peirce's account, the fundamental law for explaining the evolution of
temporal and spatial order consists of a tendency for (a) qualities (e.g.,
spin, charge, magnitude of energy) to spread based on the basis of a peculiar
relation of affectibility and (b) for those facts that do occur to increase the
odds of those facts happening again in the future.

Explaining the interaction of these strong forces with the shape of space that
is due to gravitation is an outstanding problem in physics. Does it help to
suggest that nature may operate according to a law of resemblance and
contiguity that governs phenomena in a manner akin to patterns of abductive and
inductive inferences?

--Jeff

Jeffrey Downard
Associate Professor