Jon Schmidt, List,

I'd like to take up the distinction between principles and laws.

Jon S:  "In other words, Peirce denies that excluded middle is an absolutely
exceptionless law (NEM 4:xiii, no date), which is presumably why he typically
prefers to call it a principle instead."

On its face, I believe this expresses some confusion about the differences
between principles and laws. I think Peirce makes the following sort of
distinction between the two. Consider the following argument, which is from the
second section of Kant's Grounding for the Metaphysics of Morals:

Everything in nature works in accordance with laws. Only a rational being has
the capacity to act in accordance with the representation of laws, that is, in
accordance with principles, or has a will. Since reason is required for the
derivation of actions from laws, the will is nothing other than practical
reason. (Ak 412)

According to a neo-Kantian view of rational laws, a law of logic governs the
relations between the facts expressed in the premisses and conclusion of an
argument. A principle, on the other hand, is our representation of such a law.

A logic utens consists of the habits of inference that embody such principles.
Those principles are subject to criticism precisely because they may not match
up with the laws of logic themselves. The purpose of a philosophical theory of
logic (i.e., a logica docens) is to build on the criticism of our common sense
principles for the sake of arriving at a more adequate theoretical
representation of the truth concerning the real laws that govern the logical
relations between such facts.

As such, we can distinguish between the principles embodied in our logica utens
and the principles embodied in a philosophical theory of logic--and either or
both of these may deviate in some respects from the real laws of logic.

This distinction is at the root of the classification of genuine triadic
relations in "The Logic of Mathematics, an attempt to develop my categories
from within". In this classificatory scheme, the laws of logic function as laws
of fact insofar as they govern those facts directly, and they are in a
genuinely triadic relation to the actual facts and those that are possible
(i.e., in the future).

The principles of logic, on the other hand, function as symbolic
representations that govern the self-controlled growth of our understanding.
The principles of logic, Peirce points out, do not govern brute facts with mere
necessity. Rather, they function as imperatives that dictate how we ought to
think. As such, the principles of logic differ from the laws of logic insofar
as they are in thoroughly genuine triadic relations to the premisses and
conclusions that are part of our inquiries. The principles that govern our
deductive inferences are capable of growth even if the laws of deductive logic
are, in some sense, necessary laws.

Yours,

Jeff

Jeffrey Downard