From: Jon Alan Schmidt <jonalanschm...@gmail.com>
Sent: 8-Aug-20 16:36
To: peirce-l@list.iupui.edu
Subject: Re: [PEIRCE-L] Philosophy of Existential Graphs (was Peirce's best and
final version of EGs)

Jeff, List:

JD:  Jon S asked for references to texts where Peirce employs the distinction
between principles and laws.

I specifically asked for references where Peirce supposedly endorses your claim
that "a law of logic governs the relations between the facts expressed in the
premisses and conclusion of an argument. A principle, on the other hand, is our
representation of such a law."

JD:  Peirce's definition in the Century Dictionary of the term "principle" is
instructive on this point.

Quoting those definitions would have been appreciated, rather than expecting
everyone on the List to look them up for ourselves, although Ben Udell kindly
provided a link to the ones for "principle" (another is below).

JD:  See the 4th and 5th senses and the examples of uses by Aristotle,
Hamilton, etc.

CSP:  4. A truth which is evident and general; a truth comprehending many
subordinate truths; a law on which others are founded, or from which others are
derived: as, the principles of morality, of equity, of government, etc. In
mathematical physics a principle commonly means a very widely useful theorem.

5. That which is professed or accepted as a law of action or a rule of conduct;
one of the fundamental doctrines or tenets of a system: as, the principles of
the Stoics or the Epicureans; hence, a right rule of conduct; in general,
equity; uprightness: as, a man of principle.
(http://triggs.djvu.org/century-dictionary.com/djvu2jpgframes.php?volno=06
<http://triggs.djvu.org/century-dictionary.com/djvu2jpgframes.php?volno=06&page=294&query=principle>
 &page=294&query=principle)

There are no accompanying examples of uses by Aristotle, and the only one from
Hamilton--which mentions Aristotle--is for the 2nd sense, not the 4th or 5th.

CSP:  2. Cause, in the widest sense; that by which anything is in any way
ultimately determined or regulated. ...

"Without entering into the various meanings of the term Principle, which
Aristotle defines, in general, that from whence anything exists, is produced,
or is known, it is sufficient to say that it is always used for that on which
something else depends; and thus both for an original law and for an original
element. In the former case it is a regulative, in the latter a constitutive,
principle." Sir W. Hamilton, Reid, Note A, §5, Supplementary Dissertations

Aristotle and Hamilton evidently define "principle" as "that on which something
else depends," such as "an original law."  The 4th sense similarly defines it
as "a law on which others are founded, or from which others are derived."  The
5th sense seems consistent with my interpretation, rather than yours--excluded
middle "is professed or accepted as a law" within classical logic, such that it
is "one of the fundamental doctrines or tenets of [that] system."  In any case,
Peirce never defines a principle as our representation of a law; on the
contrary ...

JD:  Compare that the 3rd sense of "law" in his definition of the term.

CSP:  3. A proposition which expresses the constant or regular order of certain
phenomena, or the constant mode of action of a force; a general formula or rule
to which all things, or all things or phenomena within the limits of a certain
class or group, conform, precisely and without exception; a rule to which
events really tend to conform.
(http://triggs.djvu.org/century-dictionary.com/djvu2jpgframes.php?volno=04
<http://triggs.djvu.org/century-dictionary.com/djvu2jpgframes.php?volno=04&page=705&query=law>
 &page=705&query=law)

It is a law, not a principle, that he defines as a proposition--i.e.,. a
representation.  He goes on to call it "a general formula or rule to which all
things ... conform, precisely and without exception."  As I said before,
excluded middle is not a law, because it is not exceptionless.

JD:  Here is a famous passage [CP 1.405-406, c. 1896] where Peirce explicitly
employs the Kantian distinction.

Where do you see such a distinction in that passage?  The only mention of the
word "law" in what you quoted is naming it as something that calls for an
explanation.  Meanwhile, Peirce straightforwardly equates "a regulative
principle" with "an intellectual hope," which is perfectly consistent with his
description of the principle of excluded middle as a hope rather than a law in
what I quoted previously from NEM 4:xiii.

JD:  At the same time, I'm trying to understand what Peirce is saying by
reading what he is reading. That, I think, is necessary to understand what he's
saying.

I have no doubt that it is helpful and insightful, but I disagree that it is
necessary.  Surely it is not a requirement for anyone who wants to understand
Peirce's vast corpus of writings to read everything that he was reading at the
time, which would obviously be another vast corpus of writings.  And would we
not then also need to read whatever all those other authors were reading when
they wrote what they wrote, in order to understand what they were saying?  And
so on, ad infinitum.

On the contrary, I believe that in most cases a good writer is capable of being
understood on his/her own terms.  As Gary Fuhrman once summarized
<https://list.iupui.edu/sympa/arc/peirce-l/2016-09/msg00179.html> , "I assume
that he [Peirce] means exactly what he says and says exactly what he means,
until I have sufficient reason to abandon that working assumption."

Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian