Robert, List,

I strongly agree with your approach, and I would
like to add three
quotations by Peirce (copied below).  They show
that De Tienne has
misunderstood the role of mathematics in Peirce's
philosophy.

But I am not claiming that ADT does not understand
Peirce, People were
doing mathematical thinking for thousands of
years before anyone knew
they were doing mathematics.  What they were
doing is diagrammatical
reasoning, which creative mathematicians,
especially Peirce, have
always known is the foundation for
mathematics.

For quotations that emphasize that point, see the
first 10 slides of
a talk I presented at a Peirce session at an APA
meeting in April 2015
and extended for a workshop hosted by Zalamea
in Bogota:  Peirce,
Polya, and Euclid:  Integrating logic,
heuristics, and geometry,
http://jfsowa.com/talks/ppe.pdf

In the first sentence of ADT's slide 25 (see the attached file
ADT25.jpg), he belittles Peirce's life's work:  "we cannot count
on
mathematicians to help figure out what goes on in
experience."

That is contrary to all three quotations by
CSP.  There are indeed
some mathematicians (pedantic, non-creative
ones) whose guidance would
be unreliable.  But Peirce, Polya, Euclid,
Archimedes, Einstein, and
others quoted in ppe.pdf aren't among
them.

In the second sentence, the phrase "rest of
us", which is intended to
exclude mathematicians, is extremely
insulting to Peirce and the many
mathematicians quoted in ppe.pdf.

In the third sentence, the question "how do we
transition" is answered
by Peirce:  use diagrams!  Diagrams are
the form of mathematics where
the mathematicians and the people who
claim they know nothing about
mathematics share common ground.

John

_____________________________________

Three quotations by Peirce:

Phaneroscopy... is the science of
the different elementary
constituents of all ideas.  Its material is,
of course, universal
experience, -- experience I mean of the fanciful
and the abstract, as
well as of the concrete and real.  Yet to
suppose that in such
experience the elements were to be found already
separate would be to
suppose the unimaginable and
self-contradictory.  They must be
separated by a process of thought
that cannot be summoned up
Hegel-wise on demand.  They must be picked
out of the fragments that
necessary reasonings scatter; and therefore
it is that phaneroscopic
research requires a previous study of
mathematics.  (R602, after 1903
but before 1908)

My
trichotomy is plainly of the family stock of Hegel’s three stages
of
thought, -- an idea that goes back to Kant, and I know not how much
further.  But the arbitrariness of Hegel's procedure, utterly
unavoidable at the time he lived, -- and presumably, in less degree,
unavoidable now, or at any future date, -- is in great measure
avoided
by my taking care never to miss the solid support of
mathematically
exact formal logic beneath my feet....  (R318, 1907,
p. 37)

The little that I have contributed to pragmatism (or,
for that matter,
to any other department of philosophy), has been
entirely the fruit of
this outgrowth from formal logic, and is worth
much more than the
small sum total of the rest of my work, as time
will show.  (CP 5.469, R318, 1907)