Robert, List:

RM: When we put the last lines of CP 3.559 before your eyes, do you look
away?

I honestly do not understand what prompted this question, since I *directly
quoted* the last lines of CP 3.559, and I have previously pointed out that
the entire referenced paragraph is the central passage of my series of
articles about the logic of ingenuity. I also do not understand the rest of
the post that follows, since I have repeatedly acknowledged that
formulating a pure hypothesis falls within the scope of pure mathematics.
It is Peirce himself who describes this as a "quite fictitious problem"
such that the resulting mathematical objects are "pure artifacts," not
realities that are as they are regardless of what anyone thinks about them.
Please note again the last quotation that I provided, especially these
sentences to that effect.

CSP: Mathematical reasoning has for its object to ascertain what would be
true in a hypothetical world which the mathematician has created for
himself,--not altogether arbitrarily, it is true, but nevertheless, so that
it can contain no element which he has not himself deliberately introduced
into it. All that his sort of reasoning, therefore, has to do is to develop
a preconceived idea; and it never reaches any conclusion at all as to what
is or is not true of the world of existences. (CP 8.110, c. 1900)

Regards,

Jon S.