John, List:

FYI, I removed Dr. Jappy from the cc: line because he has told me in the
past that he greatly values his privacy and thus prefers not to be included
in any List discussions.

JFS: This is an unpublished article by Tony Jappy.

The title is different, but the abstract exactly matches "From
Phenomenology to Ontology in Peirce's Typologies" as published in *Semiotica
*in 2019 (https://doi.org/10.1515/sem-2018-0080). Regarding the content, as
I have said before, I strongly disagree with equating "the Destinate
Interpretant" to the immediate interpretant and "the Explicit Interpretant"
to the final interpretant (SS84, EP 2:481, 1908 Dec 23), for at least four
reasons.

   - The terms themselves clearly imply the opposite, namely,
   destinate=final/normal ("effect that would be produced on the mind by the
   Sign after sufficient development of thought," CP 8.343, EP 2:482, 1908 Dec
   24-28) and explicit=immediate ("the Interpretant represented or signified
   in the Sign," ibid).
   - The context of the destinate/effective/explicit passage is
*logical *determination
   for sign classification, not *causal *nor *temporal *determination
   within the process of semiosis; hence, the genuine correlate (If)
   determines the degenerate correlate (Id), which determines the doubly
   degenerate correlate (Ii).
   - The ten sign classes that result from applying the rule of
   determination to these three trichotomies are much more plausible when the
   order is (If, Id, Ii) than when it is (Ii, Id, If), especially when
   accounting for the possibility of *mis*interpretations.
   - The S-If trichotomy unambiguously comes *before *the S-Id trichotomy
   (CP 8.338, SS 34-35, 1904 Oct 12), so it makes sense for the If trichotomy
   likewise to come *before *the Id trichotomy.

I can elaborate on any or all of these if anyone is interested. As for the
inserted comments ...

JFS: Note that “Mark Token Type” is Peirce's final choice of labels for
that trichotomy.

In that draft letter to Lady Welby, Peirce states, "But I dare say some of
my former names are better than those I now use. I formerly called a *Potisign
*a *Tinge *or *Tone*, an *Actisign *a *Token*, a *Famisign *a *Type *... I
think *Potisign Actisign Famisign* might be called *Mark Token Type (?)*
..." (CP 8.363-364, EP 2:488, 1908 Dec 25). The word "might" and the
parenthetical question mark indicate that his choice of "mark" is *not *final.
In fact, he reverts to "Tone" in a Logic Notebook entry dated two days
later (27 Dec 1908,
https://iiif.lib.harvard.edu/manifests/view/drs:15255301$636i).

Moreover, two days earlier, Peirce writes, "For a 'possible' Sign I have no
better designation than a *Tone*, though I am considering replacing this by
'Mark.' Can you suggest a really good name?" (SS 83, 1908 Dec 23). Lady
Welby replies a few weeks later, "Your exposition of the 'possible' Sign is
profoundly interesting; but I am not equal to the effort of discussing it
beyond saying that I should prefer *tone* to *mark* for the homely reason
that we often have occasion to say 'I do not object to his words, but to
his *tone*'" (SS 91, 1909 Jan 21).

I agree with her, especially since Peirce himself gives essentially the
same rationale for "tone" when he introduces it--"An indefinite significant
character such as a tone of voice can neither be called a Type nor a Token.
I propose to call such a Sign a *Tone*" (CP 4.537, 1906). Besides, "mark"
already had a well-established and quite different definition in logic,
which Peirce presents in his entry for it in Baldwin's *Dictionary of
Philosophy and Psychology* (https://gnusystems.ca/BaldwinPeirce.htm#Mark);
and as discussed on the List recently, "markedness" is now an unrelated
technical term in linguistics.

JFS: In computer science and applications, the Lewis-style of modal logic
has been useless in practical computations.

Again, "useless" strikes me as an overstatement, and even if accurate, it
does not entail that modern formal systems of modal logic will *never *turn
out to be useful in these or any other applications. More to the point,
such an assessment is *utterly irrelevant* for ascertaining what *Peirce *had
in mind when writing R L376, including his statement, "I shall now have to
add a *Delta *part [to Existential Graphs] in order to deal with modals." A
straightforward reading of that text itself is that he simply needs a new
notation to replace the unsatisfactory (broken) cuts of 1903 and
nonsensical tinctures of 1906 for representing and reasoning about
propositions involving possibility and necessity.

Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian
www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt / twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt