John, List:

JFS: A tone or mark is not "opposed to a token". It is that part of an
image that determines it as a token of some type. The image, the mark, and
the token are the same physical "thing". They are not three separable
things.

Whatever these sentences are supposed to be describing, it is certainly not
what *Peirce *ever defines as the first member of the trichotomy for sign
classification "according to the Mode of Apprehension of the Sign itself"
(CP 8.344, EP 2:482, 1908 Dec 24), the other two members of which are
"token" and "type." A tone (or mark) is "an indefinite significant
character" (CP 4.537, 1906)--it is not *itself *a physical thing, but it
can be *possessed *by a token, which *is *a physical thing (or event) that
exists (or occurs) at a single place and time (ibid). A type is "a
definitely significant form" that can be embodied in any number of
different tokens (ibid), each of which might *also *embody different
tones/marks as *indefinite *characters.

Consequently, two different tokens of the same type can possess different
tones/marks, and two different tokens of two different types can possess
the same tone/mark--there is no strict alignment between indefinite
tones/marks and definite types.

JFS: But Peirce explicitly defined 'mark' or 'tone' as a 'potisign' -- a
sign of a possibility.

To help avoid mistakes, I recommend providing exact quotations when
attributing explicit definitions to Peirce. In this case, he *never*
defines a tone/mark/potisign as a sign *of *a possibility, as if its
(dynamical) *object *were a possibility. Instead, he defines it as a sign
that is *itself *merely possible. "A Sign may *itself *have a 'possible'
Mode of Being ... For a 'possible' Sign I have no better designation than a
Tone, though I am considering replacing this by 'Mark.' Can you suggest a
really good name?" (EP 2:480, 1908 Dec 23). "Consequently, Signs, in
respect to their Modes of possible Presentation, are divisible into: A.
*Potisigns*, or Objects which are Signs so far as they are merely possible,
but felt to be positively possible" (CP 8.347, EP 2:483, 1908 Dec 24).

In short, a tone/mark is a *possible *sign, distinguished from a token as
an *existent *sign and a type as a *necessitant *sign. Again, none of this
is at all controversial among Peirce scholars.

Structural Engineer, Synechist Philosopher, Lutheran Christian
www.LinkedIn.com/in/JonAlanSchmidt / twitter.com/JonAlanSchmidt