Edwina, Tony, Jon, List,

I'd like to emphasize the first word of the subject line:  Evolution.  I
believe that is the best single word to describe Peirce's developments in from
1903 to 1906 to 1908 to 1911 to his last long letter of 1913, in which he
highlighted the features he considered important.  I'd also emphasize Tony's
point that too many Peirce scholars stopped at the issues, terminology, and
notations of 1903.   That was an important beginning, but the evolution in the
following decade made fundamental changes.

One important source of evidence is Peirce's choice of terminology.   He coined
and adopted a wide range of terms, some of which he retained to the end.  But
there are others that he stopped using and replaced with new words.  The points
where he changed terms also involve critical innovations.  If he never again
uses the old terms, that is an important indication that he began a new way of
thinking (paradigm).  For example, the words 'cut' and 'scroll' were banished
in June 1911.

There are multiple places where he made a major shift in terminology, and every
one of them shows a significant innovation in his system.  The shift from
phenomenology to phaneroscopy is a permanent shift, and I believe that it
indicates a shift from an abstract Kantian style to the more concrete examples
that Lady Welby used.   Another shift from the word-based terminology, such as
dicisign, to terms that include diagrams and images, such as semes and phemes,
is significant.  Since  semes include hypericons, he never again needed that
word.   He also used the term "phemic sheet" as replacement for 'sheet of
assertion'.

I noticed that Tony also adopted Peirce's final choice of 'mark' instead of
'tone'.  The fact that Welby preferred 'tone' is irrelevant, because she
admitted that she did not understand Peirce's discussion, and her reason for
preferring 'tone' has nothing to do with Peirce's system:  "Your exposition of
the 'possible' Sign is profoundly interesting; but I am not equal to the effort
of discussing it beyond saying that I should prefer tone to mark for the homely
reason that we often have occasion to say 'I do not object to his words, but to
his tone'" (SS 91, 1909 Jan 21).

There's more to say about these issues, and I'll send another note when I have
the time.

John

PS:   The initials JS are ambiguous.   It's better to write JAS or JFS.

From: "Edwina Taborsky" <edwina.tabor...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [PEIRCE-L] Evolution of Peirce's theoretical foundation from 1903
to the end

This is a discussion we’ve had with JAS before - and I agree with Dr. Jappy
[TJ]. .

I agree with his view of semiosis as ’thought in action’ . My own view of
Peircean semiosis is that it outlines an active, adaptive, evolving process of
mind-as-matter formation; ie, an agapastic process.

This would require that the three interpretants function as capable of this
generative, creative agapastic evolution - and this means that the Immediate
Interpretant, which is internal to the sign-vehicle operates as the most
immediate and ambiguously open interpretant form…. Followed by the Dynamic
Interpretant as a more specific and discrete result…and sometimes, not
always..by the Final Interpretant, which is a communal not individual result.

And, any of these Interpretants can be in any of the categorical modes.

The way that JAS has set up the three Interpretants, seems to me to set up an
priori deterministic, necessitarian process, which is obviously closed [ by the
Final Interpretant’s privileged first step role]…and to me, this is the
opposite of that open, adaptive Peircean semeiosis.

And as TJ points out - it doesn’t make sense that the Dynamic Interpretant
follows the Final…unless, in my view, that DI is merely a determined clone of
the authoritarian FI.

Edwina