Jon, List,

We acknowledge that Peirce introduced the trichotomy (Tone Token Type) in the
Prolegomena article of 1906, and his choice of the name 'Tone' was based on one
example, "a tone of voice".  After two more years of intensive study, analysis,
and writings, he presented a more precise specification of the trichotomy
(Potisign, Actisign, and Famisign) in a letter to Welby (EP2, p.

"Thirdly, that which is stored away in one's Memory; Familiar, and as such,
General. Consequently, Signs, in respect to their Modes of possible
Presentation, are divisible (o) into:

"A. Potisigns, or Objects which are Signs so far as they are merely possible,
but felt to be positively possible; as for eample the seventh ray that passes
through the three intersections of opposite sides of Pascal's hexagram.8

"B. Actisigns, or Objects which are Signs as Experienced hie et nunc; such as
any single word in a single place in a single sentence of a single paragraph of
a single page of a single copy of a Book. There may be repetition of the whole
paragraph, this word included, in another place. But that other occurrence is
not this word. The book may be printed in an edition of ten thousand; but THIS
word is only in my copy."

Peirce defined this trichotomy without making any reference to (Tone Token
Type).   We don't know what he was thinking when he specified it.  But later
(EP2, pp. 485-488) he continued to discuss Potisigns, Actisigns, and Famisigns
without making any references to the signs he defined in 2006.  He also
discussed universes in considerable detail.  That is a topic he began to
discuss in the Prolegomena, where he introduced (Tone Token Type).  But he is
now introducing this new triad without making any reference to it.  But he is
discussing this new version in quite a bit of detail, and he is referring to
universes repeatedly.

Then on p. 488, he writes:  "From the summer of 1905 to the same time in 1906,1
devoted much study
to my ten trichotomies of signs.9 It is time I reverted to the subject, as I
know I could now make it much clearer. But I dare say some of my former names
are better than those I now use. I formerly called a Potisign a Tinge or
Tone,an Actisign a Token. a Famisign a Type....  I think Potisign Actisign
Famisign might be called Mark Token Type (?)...

Then he continues:  "I have now given as much time to this letter as I can
afford and I cannot now reexamine the remaining Trichotomies, although I must
do so as soon as possible. So I just give them as they stood two years and more
ago. In particular, the relations I assumed between the different classes were
the wildest guesses and cannot be altogether right I think...

In short, Peirce himself called some of his earlier discussions of trichotomies
"the wildest guesses".  That should not encourage anyone to consider them as
having any reliable status.  The best definition of (Mark Token Type) should be
considered the equivalent of (Potisign Actisign Famisign) with the definitions
stated in EP pp. 485-488.  For the definition of Mark, by itself, his
definition in Baldwin's dictionary should be considered and compared to what he
wrote about Potisign.

I also strongly recommend the writings by Tony Jappy, since he has made far
deeper and more extensive analysis of the "evolving" thoughts and writings by
Peirce in the decade from 1903 to 1908.   As you know, his existential graphs
also evolved during that time, and they didn't reach their fully complete
specification until the June 1911 for Alpha and Beta.  For Gamma, the 1903
version was quickly cobbled together for the Lowell lectures.  Peirce used
metalanguage for specifying modality and a version of higher-order logic in
1903.

But he made a major revolution for his Delta graphs of 1911.

There is much more to say.