John, Jon, Helmut, List,

JFS:
1. A hump is a mark of a camel.
2. A trunk is a mark of an elephant.

Those two sentences are normal sentences that any English speaker would
understand, whether or not they had read anything by Peirce.  Now consider
the following two sentences:

1. A hump is a tone of a camel.
2. A trunk is a tone of an elephant.

Compare this to:

GR:
1. She preferred the tone of her flute to that of the first flautist in the
orchestra.
2. Her tone of voice changed dramatically when she was angry.

"Those two sentences are normal sentences that any English speaker would
understand, whether or not they had read anything by Peirce.  Now consider
the following two sentences:"

1. She preferred the mark of her flute to that of the first flautist in the
orchestra.
2. Her mark of voice changed dramatically when she was angry.

Again, quoting snippets of Helmut and Jon:  ". . . a mark is an actual
material sign. . " while "a possible sign. . . is never *itself  *"an
actual material sign."

To which I added: "Even when 'mark' is used *figuratively* ("mark my words"
"he made his mark in the art world" "it's a mark of collegiality to 'x' ")
physical material is brought to mind."

That is the case for both of John's examples: 1. A hump is a mark of a
camel and 2. A trunk is a mark of an elephant. These are both examples of
synecdoche, a figure of speech whereas a part represents the whole which is
the case in both these cases: the whole camel and the whole elephant.

JFS wrote: "I'm glad that he used the example of 'camel' because it
emphasizes the profound difference between the word 'mark' and the word
'tone' as they may be used for the first term in the trichotomy ( ____
token type)."

There is no "profound difference between the word 'mark' and the word
'tone' here" and your claiming -- rather *insisting* -- that there *is*
only weakens your argument for the use of 'mark' in the trichotomy being
discussed.

Indeed your consistent insistence that you are right -- no discussion
needed, your seemingly claiming to be the final arbiter in all Peircean
terminological matters  -- itself "has no redeeming social or academic
value whatsoever."   And certainly it is not a collegial stance to take on
Peirce-L. "Get rid of it."

Best,

Gary