Gary F, Martin, List,

I've been taking an informal self-refresher course on Merleau-Ponty's
phenomenology this week and had nearly completed a draft response to
Martin's message when your compelling and thought-provoking message
arrived. I'll finish that draft post and send it off in the next couple of
day, but I wanted to immediately respond to your post, Gary, since I think
you highlight an important, even essential idea in Peirce's semeiotic and
metaphysics regarding 2ns, one that can be easily neglected as 'obvious'.
Well, I suppose it is obvious once it's been articulated clearly and
succinctly.

You wrote regarding "the 'mystery' inherent in Merleau-Ponty's 'ipseity'."*

GF: What this brings to my mind is [. . .] Peirce's own reference to
Secondness as “the being that consists in arbitrary brute action upon other
things, not only irrational but anti-rational, since to rationalize it
would be to destroy its being” (CP 6.342
<https://gnusystems.ca/TS/slc.htm#lvgntl>, 1907; that link leads to the
context as quoted in *Turning Signs*).

The rationality of science is in its Thirdness, of course, but the *truth* of
a theory in positive science depends on the genuine Secondness, the
inexplicably real existence, of the objects of its attention. That's why
Secondness is predominant in Peirce's usage of the term “experience.” Some
phenomenologists think that scientific explanation of phenomena reduces
their “mystery,” but for Peirce, their genuine “anti-rational” Secondness
is *involved in the truth* of a sound theory, not eliminated by it.
Rationalization, on the other hand, would “destroy its being,” leaving the
predicate of a proposition bereft of an *ens reale* to which it could
really apply.

*(Peirce's own term is *hæcceity*, not quite a synonym for *ipseity*, I
think.)

We've been repeatedly reminded in the literature that Peirce's philosophy
differs from Hegel's (but not only Hegel's) by its insisting that 2ns must
be given its full weight in science, notably in semeiotic and metaphysics;
and that while 2ns may have been 'discovered' in phenomenology,  its
pragmatic importance isn't realized until we've come to those later
sciences. As you point out, if we are seeking the 'truth' of a theory, then
2ns must be involved or there is no "*ens reale* to which it could really
apply." That is, 2ns refers to the 'matter' of which we seek the Truth
regarding.

While I'll try to say more about this in my Merleau-Ponty themed post
(possibly not until part 2), I'm beginning to see that M-P offers an
essentially subjective phenomenology in "*Phenomenology of Perception,*" and
that it is not until his late work, including and especially "*The Visible
and the Invisible,*" that he puts forth an ontology which leaves room for
the social, for the community. Perhaps all I should say for now is that he
doesn't emphasizes community in his philosophical work, although some of
his political writings do to some extent. As both you and Martin have
emphasized, scientific work "is inherently public," it is the work of
scientists in scientific communities (formal or informal) sharing their
hypotheses, methodologies, their experiences and experimental findings.

 GF: This is what enables a science to generalize without losing touch with
experiential reality. That's why only a *refutation* of a theory can be
logically conclusive, as both Popper and Peirce recognized.

[A bit off topic: At this juncture the question arises in my mind as to
what extent phenomenology has a peculiar place in Peirce's science, that
pure phaneroscopy (as I understand it) seems to be a kind of pre- or
proto-science. My own stated view is that the phaneroscopic (or, pure
observational) part of phenomenology represents only the first phase of a
science not much developed as such by Peirce by his own admission. Still,
he placed it as First Cenoscopic Science in his classification of the
sciences so, I believe, he imagined that it *could* be developed into a
full-fledged science. However, all that is a topic for an altogether
different discussion.]

I want to briefly turn to your remarks, Gary, on the socio-ecological
crises we find ourselves in, the consequence, as you put it, of the
rationalization of "destructive public policies and corporate behavior
based on denial of ecological reality" by those who have the
political-economic power to use such tools as "social media" to foster "the
continuing degradation of the planetary life support system." While I am
aware of some of the literature surrounding this, I know that you have
actually been seriously studying these de-volutional practices and
tendencies for years now, Gary. Terms such as surveillance capitalism
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surveillance_capitalism> and ecological
overshoot <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecological_overshoot> are entirely
new to me, so I'll have to look further into these tendencies of the
Anthropocene to have a clearer sense of current thought on this crisis
(thanks for the links).

 I share your pessimism as to the fate of humanity -- the fate of the Earth
-- while I also agree with you that "Peircean semiotic is highly valuable
for analyzing and understanding the role of communication media in this
situation." Of course semeiotics -- all communication --  requires symbols,
and symbols are "remote from the Truth itself" (CSP). Still, we must use
the tools we have, and the signs and symbols of semeiotic (*man* himself
being a symbol) along with the* body* as M-P conceives of it as "the link
between the physical and the cultural world" (Sean Dorrance Kelly,
"Merleau-Ponty on the Body") are pretty much all we've got.

Thank you for your most stimulating post, Gary. Perhaps I will try to
address some of your other ideas related to the logic of vagueness.

Best,

Gary R

Sans Serif
Send