Jon,

To begin, I'll quote a highly respected authority about arguments from
authority.  The following passage about authority comes from Wikiquote, a
source that is widely considered an authoritative source of information:

"Appeal to an authority which depends on human reason is the weakest kind of
proof.

- Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica

...when we engage in argument we must look to the weight of reason rather than
authority. Indeed, students who are keen to learn often find the authority of
those who claim to be teachers to be an obstacle, for they cease to apply their
own judgement and regard as definitive the solution offered by the mentor of
whom they approve. I myself tend to disapprove of the alleged practice of the
Pythagoreans: the story goes that if they were maintaining some position in
argument, and were asked why, they would reply: "The master said so", the
master being Pythagoras. Prior judgement exercised such sway that authority
prevailed even when unsupported by reason."

My argument for the word 'mark' as a better choice than 'tone' is based on my
own reasoning long before I noticed that Tony Jappy had made the same choice.
And in the discussions, I supported every point with my own reasons.  However,
I realized that some readers, such as you, might disagree.  So I said that if
you don't believe me, go to another Peirce scholar who has spent years of
research on these issues.

That is the kind of citation that is REQUIRED in peer-reviewed publications in
every field.  The author is expected to cite related research.  Instead of
criticizing me, you should thank me for providing that additional information.

JAS:  That is not my understanding of why scrupulously citing references is
required by academic publications these days, unlike in Peirce's time. Instead,
it is primarily to give credit where it is due for ideas that are not the
author's.

I suggest that you read (or reread) some of the articles in the Summa
Theologiae by Aquinas.  In every article, he cites what other scholars have
written pro and con each of the statements he is trying to prove.  He then
explains the arguments he agrees with and refutes the ones he disagrees with.

The methods of citation by Aquinas established the polices for scholarly
writing for universities for the next 800 years.  At the top, I quoted Aquinas.
 I suggest that you read (or reread) a few of his articles.  My citations of
Jappy's writings are the same kind of references that Aquinas used to cite
authors who supported the points he was trying to prove.

And by the way, Peirce had also read quite a bit of the writings by Aquinas (in
Latin, of course).  In fact, the commentary about Aristotle by Aquinas is still
regarded as a good introduction today.  In fact, Hilary Putnam recommended it.

Those recommendations are very respectable.  They're the kind of references I
made to Jappy.  Anybody who criticizes that as a fallacy deserves a huge amount
of criticism.