Of course some authors don't care about having a community around their software, and some don't consider their CPAN package as "important" or "big" enough to warrant a community (despite it probably being licensed with an open source-friendly license). These people are entirely free to continue do nothing. :)

Yes, but we've seen what happens once the metrics are created. The natural competitive nature of people comes out and they start doing things just because there's a metric for it.

Any metric that catches bad things, particularly bad technical things, is going to be just fine.

Metrics that try to push "good" behavior are fraught with trouble, because they start pushing people in odd directions.

I think it's important that we take some care about the metrics that get created that encourage people to take "good" behaviors (as opposed ones that just encourage "not-bad" behavior).

Finally, I don't personally see an obvious (causative or otherwise) link between a non-author community support channel, and module Kwalitee (or quality for that matter).

Adam K