On Sep 12, 2006, at 6:54 PM, Adam Kennedy wrote:

[...]
That said, I've have come around a little on the subject of author tests.

The one advantage they do have, is that their inclusion means that while I may check POD structure, a pod.t ensures that in the event of someone else taking over the module, these things will continue to be checked.

But with that in mind, I still don't see much point in running them at install-time, so lately I've modified my pod.t test so that it's skip message is now "skipped: Author tests not required for installation" or the like, and the tests now only run when AUTOMATED_TESTING is on.

So now the tests will still get run during CPAN Testers and the like, but regular installation will not be impacted.

That's fine, but in my opinion, a slightly better solution for author tests is to include them in revision control (i.e. SVN) but to exclude them from the public distro via MANIFEST.SKIP. That's what we do for the Perl::Critic self-compliance tests, for example, which are time-consuming and not relevant to the functionality of Perl::Critic. However, your approach to author-test skipping works well, and is more appropriate for modules which may not have a publicly-exposed revision control system.

*shrug* I could probably be convinced that your approach is better.

Chris

--
Chris Dolan, Software Developer, Clotho Advanced Media Inc.
608-294-7900, fax 294-7025, 1435 E Main St, Madison WI 53703

Clotho Advanced Media, Inc. - Creators of MediaLandscape Software (http://www.media-landscape.com/) and partners in the revolutionary Croquet project (http://www.opencroquet.org/)