Adam Kennedy wrote:
Salve J Nilsen wrote:
Thomas Klausner wrote:

Oh, and if you want to join the fun and help a bit, here's a (probably
incomplete) list of tasks:

- Metrics:
[snip]

Would the metrics for community support channels that were suggested a while ago be welcome? (The discussion about them sort of died out :-\)

I think the main issue with this was that it was really only a valid metric for huge modules, and for 90% of the smaller things there wasn't much point.

For example, Config::Tiny or Catalyst::Plugin::Some::Random::Small::Plugin.

Why?

Having such a metric is quite useful even for the smaller moules, IMO. Firstly, it says something about the author's ambitions ("I'll be supporting this", "I will continue developing features", "I accept patches", "I'd like to help you use my software").

And there's nothing wrong if several tiny modules point to a common mailing list... E.g. that certain Acme::* module authors subscribe to a hypothetical <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> mailing list.

Or that the Catalyst::Plugin::Some::Random::Small::Plugin author tells that she'll monitor <irc://irc.perl.org/catalyst> for questions...

And frankly, I don't think there's a good way to distinguish between "should have a community" and "shouldn't need a community".

That's obviously entirely up to the author. What "we, the CPAN community" can do is urge the authors to consider having and using such a resource, since doing this in general /helps the community/, both in the general sense (showing the world that the CPAN community is easily accessible for outsiders and new users) and in the specific sense (make Perl software easier to use, since support apparently is easily available).

On the other hand, what WOULD be interesting, is a check to make sure that the URIs of anything mentioned are still valid.

Heh. Yeah, that would be a nice project all by itself. :)

So if the META.yml has a URI with a community page or what have you, that the page exists. The same sort of uris_exist could also check URIs in the main documentation.

Good idea. :)

- Salve

--
Salve J. Nilsen <salvejn at met dot no> / Systems Developer
Norwegian Meteorological Institute           http://met.no/