From: Steven Manross [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, December 04, 2006 9:43 PM
To: Daniel Bacon; perl-win32-web@listserv.ActiveState.com
Subject: RE: ASP/PerlScript Issue - Please help

you can't use that build.

http://downloads.activestate.com/ActivePerl/Windows/5.6/ActivePerl-5.6.1
.638-MSWin32-x86.msi

If you disable Friendly Errors in your browser, you'll see something about ASP
telling you it can't SetScriptState properly (there are a few bugs listed in
the bug tracker for this problem).  They tend to center around trying to do a
$Server->Transfer() or $Response->Redirect(), or oddly enough, when trying to
use certain COM objects.

http://bugs.activestate.com/buglist.cgi?querytype=simple&type%3Ashort_de
sc%3Along_desc%3Abug_file_loc%3Astatus_whiteboard%3Akeywords=substring&O
R%3Ashort_desc%3Along_desc%3Abug_file_loc%3Astatus_whiteboard%3Akeywords
=SetScriptState&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNE
D&bug_status=REOPENED

In IIS6 this problem can be masked by increasing the number of worker processes
that you allow your WebGarden to control or decreasing the amount of time IIS
will take to recycle the worked processes -- neither gets rid of the problem
and have possible side effects that are potentially worse than the initial
problem.

Activestate has had numerous issues with this issue throughout their later 5.6
builds,  and can't seem to track down the issue in 5.8 (or at least they won't
comment on any possible fixes, except to say that it might be an IIS 6 issue).
Numerous users have relayed similar situations, and there's no solution that
I've seen in the years that I've been tracking this bug, except to load build
638 or move to VBScript, JavaScript, VB.NET, etc.

Good Luck,
Steven