  JH> On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 10:24:05AM -0500, John Porter wrote:
  >> Uri Guttman wrote:
  >> > records can be strings, or any perl [LH]o[LH].
  >>
  >> y/L/A/;
  >>

  >> > for a schwartz (drop the 'ian') or GR transform.
  >>
  >> Why?  So it conforms with the "Guttman-Rosler" naming standard?

  JH> Which *I* would call "Macdonald transform" anyway :-)

  JH> (John Macdonald suggested the trick to me at least a year before
  JH> the GR paper, and it's there in the Sorting chapter, though it is
  JH> not called by any special name...)

well, the basic technique is much older than that. i believe it was
first used in the 60's on mainframes. remember, sorting massive numbers
of records was a large task in those days. ever heard of tape sorts and
other strange algorithms. larry rosler and i never claimed to have
invented this. we just codified it clearly and covered as many angles of
it in the perl domain that we could find. larry in fact worked on
finding ways to GRT sort on all common field types including signed and
unsigned integers, floats (IEEE format only) and variable length
strings. as for giving it a name, others were asking what to call it and
this was the consensus name that came up. we didn't push for it.

BTW no one responded to my suggestion for Sort::Records to be in the
core (core library rather than perl core) on perl6. nor did anyone jump
up and say they wanted to help work on it.

uri

--
Uri Guttman  ---------  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  ----------  http://www.sysarch.com
SYStems ARCHitecture, Software Engineering, Perl, Internet, UNIX Consulting