> (Someone wrote:)
> > And who decides that it's the one based on parrot?

It is the original plan to implement Perl 6 on Parrot, and the project
that gets most developer attention.

> > What happens if parrot turns out to be a dead end? (very unlikely,
> > but possible).

Then backtracking would happen, or more likely: Perl 6 would die. If
this community cannot come up with a virtual machine that can handle
Perl 6, then many people will lose all hope.

But as indicated, this scenario is very unlikely.

> Let's give some $$$ to say 3 implementations, see what they come up in
> a month. Lets mupltiply their 1/CPU-time with #of tests passed :), and
> the winner gets the rest of the money.

I do not think a *contest* would be in the best interest of Perl 6.

> > And different implementations help to explore different part of the
> > specs.

Yes, they help. But it's not necessary.

> > That also helps rakudo, if the specs are well covered by other
> > implementations and are therfore much stable and really
> > implementable.

If something turns out to be un-implementable, they will find out
regardless of the existence of other implementations. However, I do have
a lot of faith in Larry Wall's language design skills, and think that
this is a very minor, even hypothetical issue.

> > If you argue that most people want an implemenation that covers
> > large parts of the specs, the most logical step would be to boost
> > pugs development. It's the most advanced implementation by far.  And
> > I do believe that it can be sped up if you really want that.

If sufficient people were fond of hacking on its Haskell guts, then
probably we wouldn't be having this conversation. But it appears that
most volunteers consider Pugs a very useful exploration project (that
would have been used for bootstrapping if development hadn't stalled),
but see Rakudo as the beginning of a feasible real world Perl 6
implementation.

> > So where's that pro parrot bias coming from?

It shows progress, and several well known, trusted and skilled hackers
work on it.
--
Met vriendelijke groet,  Kind regards,  Korajn salutojn,

  Juerd Waalboer:  Perl hacker  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  <http://juerd.nl/sig>
  Convolution:     ICT solutions and consultancy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>