Larry Wall skribis 2008-02-21 11:15 (-0800):
> On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 01:29:05PM +0100, Juerd Waalboer wrote:
> : Then backtracking would happen, or more likely: Perl 6 would die. If
> : this community cannot come up with a virtual machine that can handle
> : Perl 6, then many people will lose all hope.
> Except that the people working on alternatives to parrot are already
> doing that exploration in parallel, and therefore would have no
> change in attitude.

Oh, but I would certainly not want to discourage them.

For $$$-funding, however, I think it is not practical to pursue multiple
approaches simultaneously.

> : I do not think a *contest* would be in the best interest of Perl 6.
> It's already a friendly competition.  To the extent that it is perceived
> as a zero-sum game, we'd lose the friendliness, I fear.

Friendly competition is good, but projects competing to win a grant
might hurt all of the projects severely, as well as the social structure
that joins the projects in the larger Perl 6 community.
--
Met vriendelijke groet,  Kind regards,  Korajn salutojn,

  Juerd Waalboer:  Perl hacker  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  <http://juerd.nl/sig>
  Convolution:     ICT solutions and consultancy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>