On 07/30/2010 01:27 PM, Steffen Schwigon wrote:
Richard Hainsworth<rich...@rusrating.ru>  writes:
The number of modules available to proto has grown considerably.

I am not aware that there is a convenient way of obtaining a short
description about each module, other than just the name?
Just an opinion: imho every effort should go towards integrating CPAN
in any way.

Perl without CPAN feels like Kung-Fu on stack-heel shoe.

Maybe any of those META2.0, cpanminus, CPAN::Packager,
CPAN::Dpendency, MyCPAN::*, POD6 thingies could be assembled into
something to integrate Perl6 with CPAN?

And, yes, I consider it valid to have a Perl5 toolchain doing that.

Perl5 toolchain - not the issue: proto is a perl5 script!

CPAN as a concept is not the issue. CPAN IS what makes perl so superior.

The problem at the moment is the variety of suggested enhancements to CPAN, which does have its own issues.

There is an inevitable transition period between now (the release of the Rakudo Star distribution) and some point down the timeline when it will become clear how to arrange a CPAN-type setup for Perl6 (not just the Rakudo implementation of perl6).

All I am suggesting is that the directories containing modules also contain a METADATA file with some standard items, and that this metadata is required for a module that is registered. Even if there is a CPAN system, the metadata would still be needed, so there is no extra work for developers.