+1, plus a small further comment: Paul says "if this feature didn't exist, we'd
have to invent an overt equivalent" as if that's a bad thing.

>From my perspective, that kind of design decision ought always to be an overt
>one - especially where, as Stephen implies, an occasional use-case
>(trouble-shooting) is used as the justification for a permanent default with
>privacy implications (linkable, semantically-loaded MAC address).

I recommend Michelle Dennedy's book, The Privacy Engineer's Manifesto, and
Sarah Spiekermann's book on Value-based Design, for useful and informative
guidance in this area.

Hope this is of use,
Robin

Robin Wilton

Technical Outreach Director - Identity and Privacy