In fairness, the vast majority of people have no such need "at home". I
would wager that 99.9% of people who use networked devices on a daily
basis have no idea what a MAC address is, would be at least somewhat
concerned that that sort of consistent data was leaking from them
constantly, and have no need to take an inventory of devices on a
network, nor any idea how they would do that even if they wanted to.

That "feature" is one that only a small portion of people (consisting of
many people on this list, granted) find important and IMO is outweighed
by the privacy and security implications.

-Ross Schulman